Recommendation For a Good Fishing Kayak

marvinlee718
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Recommendation For a Good Fishing Kayak

Post by marvinlee718 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:54 am

I'm looking for a good angling kayak in the price range of $700 to $1,000.
Last edited by marvinlee718 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Recommendation For a Good Fishing Kayak

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 am

What kind of fishing are you going to be doing? Saltwater - beach, or tidal creeks. Freshwater - Rivers, ponds, big lakes? Having an idea of your size would also help because you don't want to put a 300# person in a kayak that has a recommended weight capacity of 400#. With the price you have listed you will have a lot of options, you will also want to consider a budget for a paddle, and PFD.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 am

Check out the Jackson Coosa kayak. One of the few kayaks that was actually designed to fish out of.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:03 pm

www.wavewalk.com

I pump this guy all the time, my apologies...no affiliation with him at all. Just a very impressed customer.

IMO this is the best fishing kayak around, and definitely the most stable/comfortable ride you will ever have in a canoe/kayak.

marvinlee718
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by marvinlee718 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:11 pm

I'll be using it for freshwater fishing. Mostly rivers and lakes. I don't there would be a weight issue for me because I'm not big guy.

marvinlee718
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by marvinlee718 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Any other suggestions?

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Scott F wrote:Check out the Jackson Coosa kayak. One of the few kayaks that was actually designed to fish out of.
Seriously? There's tons of purpose built fishing yaks out there. I'd be looking at the wilderness systems tarpon range. Depending on how tight the waterways are that you intend to fish, and how far you want to paddle, you could be looking at a range of different sizes. In general terms the longer a yak is, the faster it will be and the straighter it will track, with the downside that it will not turn as quickly or easily. Obviously shorter is better for narrow creeks while longer is the way to go for covering larger distances. You might also like to look at the ocean kayak range, the prowlers are superb fishing yaks.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

marvinlee718 wrote:Any other suggestions?
I suggest that you read this article. Lot's of input about choosing a fishing kayak:
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/art ... kayak.html

If there are kayak outfitters near you, I suggest that you demo all their available kayaks before making a decision.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:31 am

scatter wrote:
Scott F wrote:Check out the Jackson Coosa kayak. One of the few kayaks that was actually designed to fish out of.
Seriously? There's tons of purpose built fishing yaks out there. I'd be looking at the wilderness systems tarpon range. Depending on how tight the waterways are that you intend to fish, and how far you want to paddle, you could be looking at a range of different sizes. In general terms the longer a yak is, the faster it will be and the straighter it will track, with the downside that it will not turn as quickly or easily. Obviously shorter is better for narrow creeks while longer is the way to go for covering larger distances. You might also like to look at the ocean kayak range, the prowlers are superb fishing yaks.
Yes, seriously. Most companies "fishing" kayaks are just their regular kayaks they added rod holders to. Even the Wilderness Systems boats.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm

There are many great fishing kayaks. I have Jacksons, Wilderness Systems, and Hobies. With the information you have provided I would look at the Jackson Cuda, yeah it's a little longer so covering water would not be a problem, the seat is one of the most comfortable, plenty of storage and the ability to stand.

Wilderness Systems Kayaks - The Tarpon 120 in my opinion is one of the best all around fishing kayaks. If dosen't give you the ability to stand, but is great in many types of water. I think it's the most versitle.

Commander series are nice they give you an open cockpit, the ability to stand, but offer no scuppers because it's more of a hybrid so if rapids come into play then I wouldn't recommend.

Ride 115 this kayak is a nice kayak it's shorter so you can turn quickly, less than 12' so it will be slower, is wide and a tunnel hull that allows easy standing. It's comparable to the Jackson Coosa but the Ride115 seating position is lower making it harder to get to the standing position.

Ride 135 is a good kayak for all around fishing, it is longer than the 115, and gives you plenty of room for gear and stability.

Hobie Pro Anglers are the Cadalliac of personal powered watercraft, comfortable seat, ability to stand, large weight capacity,, but heavy, and not great for skinny waters.

Preception Pescadore, Ocean Kayak (Trident, and Prowler) series kayaks, and there are many other brands.

It's just what are your needs?
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member