Buying an older bass boat

Mark V
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Buying an older bass boat

Post by Mark V » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Some time in the next year or so, I'd like to get in to an older bass boat and I've been seeing some decent seeming boats out there. This will be my first bass boat and I know an older boat can be a true hole in the water. I'm aware of making sure the water pump is in good shape, but what are some of the things to look out for when looking at well used boats, ie, $5-7k. What sort of things are big $$ that you wouldn't realize until it hits you in the wallet? I'd love to be able to find an early 90s Ranger, Triton, Skeeter or Bullet that could provide years of good service.

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Buying an older bass boat

Post by Fastfish » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am

Get a experienced marine surveyor to inspect any boat prior to purchase no matter what it's a guarantee that any money you spend on a surveyor will come back to you double because he will either find so much wrong with it you won't buy or it'll be a decent boat but he will find something that you'll be able to get the price reduced by double what you spent on the surveyor.

Fastfish
Last edited by Fastfish on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying an older bass boat

Post by USA-RET » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am

Fastfish wrote:Get a experienced marine surveyor to inspect any boat prior to purchase no matter what it's a guarantee that any money you spend on a surveyor will come back to you double because he will either find so much wrong with it you won't buy or it'll be a decent boat but he will find something that you'll be able to get the price reduced by double what you spent on the surveyor.

Fastfish

Absolutely true. Find the boat of your dreams (plenty of like new garage queens out there), take it to the trusted marine guy that can run the critical engine tests and get the computer output printed for you. That printout will tell you every time that motor was over revved, over heated or stressed in any way. The compression test and diagnostics should reveal any impending troubles. As stated above, the money you spend to have this done will more than pay for itself in the long run.