Recessing Trolling Motor Foot Pedal?

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Recessing Trolling Motor Foot Pedal?

Post by joeim8 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 1996 Ranger 391V.
As of late my back has been killing me during and after a days fishing and I believe that recessing my MK Fortrex Trolling motor foot pedal might help the issue.

I have 2 questions.

1 is will recessing the tmotor foot pedal into the boat deck harm the stability or structure in any way?
I ask this because I actually wanted to do this years ago but somebody told me that older Rangers may have supports about were I need to make the cut?

2 is if i am able to recess with no harm to the boat which brand should I go with comfortroll or troll well?

Thanks for any info guys.

VEEDUBGYRL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Recessing Trolling Motor Foot Pedal?

Post by VEEDUBGYRL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am

with all boats in general, there are supports holding the front deck. are you able to look under the deck to see places where you can cut?

ive heard it is alot more comfortable with a recessed pedal.

GL
VEEDUBGYRL

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 pm

If you are able don't hesitate. Having a recessed TM pedal is much easier on my knees and back. It is almost level with the deck of my boat so you stand much flatter. I think it is easier to control in rough water as well.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 am

1) not going to hurt the structure of the boat as your replacing deck material with either a metal tray or the Poly plastic trays..
2) either brand should be fine as you will NOTICE a difference in your back and stability of controlling the boat in rough water..

IM glad the boat had one built in along with the padded carpet as I can fish all now without any back pains..

duck27
Angler
Angler

Post by duck27 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 pm

I installed one in my Stratos and have never looked back. It made a world of difference in my back. Go to YouTube and watch the install video for some good tips.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Definitely remove storage or a panel if you can before just cutting. Even if there is a strut supporting the deck there- if you can get to it from the side- instead of blindly cutting from above - you can either avoid it or reinforce it after your done installing.

The recessed FP will make a WORLD of a difference though. OR you can opt for a new ipilot and just automate all your runs :big grin: