Float tubes

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Float tubes

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:09 am

I had some Cabelas gift certificates laying around and decided to order one of these:

Now to outfit it with the proper rod holder. I'm thinking that the Scotty rail mount may fit. They also have a strap for float tubes that would work.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:47 am

I decided upon the Cabelas clamp on rod holder mount. The aluminum frame tube diameter is 1 1/4".  The rail mount acommodates 7/8" maximum diameter rails.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:42 am

[font=Trebuchet MS]No sooner had I ordered the Cabelas clamp on rod holder mounts did I find a better mount that would accomodate the 1 1/4" pontoon boat frame diameter. The Scotty #245 is the ticket! The scotty.com web site does list the #245 but I spoke with their sales department and they have been manufacturing this mount for quite some time.

I ordered the mount from a company in Canada (http://www.berrysbait.com) but you can go to any retail store that sells Scotty products and ask them to special order the mount. I paid $13.99 each for the mounts from berrysbait.com.

http://www.berrysbait.com/1/01/1003.htm

Scotty #245 Rod Holder Round Rail Mount for 1 1/4" Rails
Fit's 1 1/4" pontoon boat tube frames like a glove!!![/font]

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:19 pm

The UPS guy is coming to my house tomorrow, yippeee! I have all the necessary tools laid out, jus like on a surgeons instument table, ready for assembly. Of course I have already downloaded the assembly instructions from the Creek Company web site and have studied them thoroughly.

It's like waiting for Santa - I can't go to sleep!

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gideon » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:41 am

My buddy actually has that exact rig. I have fished with it on some pretty rough water and was really impressed. Nice pontoon Reno!

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:57 am

[font=Palatino Linotype]Gideon,

Thanks. I finished assembling the watercraft yesterday. It went together really easy with the supplied snap pins. The double action pump that came with the boat filled up the pontoons extremely quickly. I added foam pipe isulation to the foot pegs and wraped them with grip tape to provide some cushion and better grip for my wader boots. I'm waiting on my rod holder mounts to come in and also ordered the aluminum diamond plate rear deck plate with the trolling motor mount and anchor pully.

I'll be taking it out on its maiden voyage to Lake Tahoe this Saturday.[/font]

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:41 pm

good luck with ur new boat, i am hoping to get one of them in the near future, just don't have enough time to use it.

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:29 pm

Hey back to one of ur original questions Bruce1179, i actually own a Trout Unlimited Bighorn float tube. I love it, it is incredibly stable and has tons of storage. My brother actually had one of their other models (can't remember the name, but it was green) and my neighboor had a Kennebec. I had a chance to try out all three and while the kennebec was kinda nice just cuz there is a smaller chair type seat instead of a backresst, i still prefered my bighorn over all three. Plus the color is cool, dark navy blue, by favorite. All in all, i think the Trout Unlimited Float tubes are by far some of the best float tubes u can buy, if u have any questions feel free to ask. oh ya and in case ur wondering, i don't have any affiliation with trout unlimited, lol, i'm just a pleased customer.

dbrown525
Angler
Angler

Post by dbrown525 » Fri May 07, 2004 7:53 am

Hey,

How high does that Big horn sit you in the water. Are you in water up over your waist or are the tops of your legs dry? Are you high enough to really see into the water?

I'm debating on buying a bighorn or just spending the extra cash for a fish cat. What are your thoughts?

dbrown

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Wed May 19, 2004 9:32 pm

hey dbrown, it depends on ur weight on how high the Bighorn will float you. Me myself i'm only like 140 so only the tops of my legs get wet for the most part, its not like i'm in water up to my chest. About whether you get the pontoon or the bighorn, i'm really not sure, it depends on what type of fishing you will primarily be using it for. They are both very portable but the bighorn will be more so. If you have anymore questions about the Bighorn feel free to ask

dbrown525
Angler
Angler

Post by dbrown525 » Fri May 21, 2004 7:44 am

Thanks for the info on the Bighorn. My major concern is whether it will sit me high enough to see and cast clearly. Comfort is also a big concern. How comfortable is the bighorn after a few hours of fishing?

dbrown