Grizzly 1448 Jon all electric a good idea?

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Grizzly 1448 Jon all electric a good idea?

Post by SWH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey guys,

I have started looking into getting my own boat for use with a trolling motor only. No gas-engine use allowed, not even mounted. And the lake I am using it on is around 4 x 7 km, so it will be moving a bit around for sure, but with any significant wind I just stay home of course.

My considerations are that first of all this boat is available in Sweden and so I can buy it, duh!, and then it just seems practical and offers a platform, has width too, and I read that these are stable boats. And most importantly, it should be easy to move this with either a 101 or 80 lbs Minn Kota front-mounted, and get some good 'mileage' or whatever it is called in electric-terms. Now, these are considerations and I do not know a thing about boats! As a competitor to this there is the also available Guide V-16 Laker DLX-T that obviously is bigger and more capable, also more expensive, and uses much more power to run? Of course this has more features, but I would add carpet along with some chairs and other modifications for convenience to the Grizzly. Also, is it reasonable to say that with just a trolling motor a DLX is not really utilized properly?

Food for thoughts! :)

Links for references:
http://trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3569 (DLX)
http://trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3503 (Grizzly)

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Grizzly 1448 Jon all electric a good idea?

Post by Eric Walsh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Technology has lead to many improvements in the electric motor world - take Torqeedo electric motors for example.
In the US, Cabelas is a supplier and prices vary according to horsepower needs, but given you have the funds, it's a
viable solution to fishing larger ponds and lakes which are electric only. You could run to hotspots with the electric
outboard (Torqueedo), then use a standard trolling motor on the bow - how sweet! You would get some good looks
with that rig. :lol:

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Never seen those Torqeedo's before, that is pretty sweet. The biggest one i can find is 9.9hp. do they make any bigger ones?

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Have you done any math to figure how much battery you'll need to carry for a 6hr fishing outting you do know that if that 9.9 really is that strong that its roughly a 150lb. thrust motor if you running a 101 Minn Kota this a a whole lotta batteries gonna be in that rig but yo gotta plan your battery life around what your normal day on the water is for me its 6hrs. sometimes more but never less than that.

Fastfish

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 am

I think the electric motor is a great idea. The more they sell the better they will be supported and designed.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:58 am

I looked into the whole Torqeedo thing and ultimately it becomes too expensive. The motor itself is a fair deal, but the battery cost is just immense as you need lithium to keep the weight down. For now AGM batteries and Minn Kota will have to do until the wealthy people support development of the Torqeedo and co., so that it may become available for less than now. Basically a setup with the 48 volt easily approaches the price of a new 300 HP outboard :P