Just bought a boat!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Just bought a boat!

Post by JerryC » Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 am

So my buddy had a Tracker Tournament TX 17 sitting in his driveway for 2 years. I was lucky enough to be able to take if off of his hands for him and to a mechanic who can ensure everything is working properly. While he had his boat in his driveway one night someone stole his trolling motor and he doesn't remember how many LB thrust it was or the shaft length. I will need to buy a used or new one for it but I am confused on the shaft length & type of trolling motor I should get for it. Does anyone have any suggestions for the type, i am assuming a Minn Kota would be a good option - 55lb-80lb thrust maybe? How about shaft length?

Anything helps.. thanks guys!

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Just bought a boat!

Post by BucketHunter » Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 am

long and strong cant go wrong

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Wed May 15, 2013 11:42 am

Sweet!
Trolling motors are surprisingly expensive, whatever you get; make it a 24 volt and run 2 batteries. You'll want the shorter model that is offered(42" for Minn Kota, 45" for Motorguide). A trolling motor is a key piece of equipment, you spend more time using it than you do the big motor.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 15, 2013 11:44 am

Nickk wrote:Sweet!
Trolling motors are surprisingly expensive, whatever you get; make it a 24 volt and run 2 batteries. You'll want the shorter model that is offered(42" for Minn Kota, 45" for Motorguide). A trolling motor is a key piece of equipment, you spend more time using it than you do the big motor.
Thanks Nick, I was thinking the same. Price wise motorguide looks best but Minn kota seems to be the most trusted. I've searched locally but haven't found anything great for a cheaper price. Might end up biting the bullet on this one. Thanks for the help

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Fri May 17, 2013 7:57 am

I have had both. My Motor Guide was cable steer and the Minn Kota I have now is electronic steer. I will never go back to the cable steer.

Also check out the iPilot on the MK - huge convenience. Do you have to have it? No. Will you think it's about the best upgrade you've ever done to your boat? I sure do.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/ ... water.aspx

Trolling motors can be pricey, but as Nickk pointed out you use them constantly, so to me it's worth paying for.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 am

Let me tell you guys, this bass boat thing is taking a lot out of me. I've been working on my boat since I got it on Saturday and have come a far way as it is. I am dropping it off to a Evinrude tech at a local lake this weekend to have him do maintanance to the engine in case something is wrong that I initially didn't know about. So far so good, doesn't look like ill be selling or buying anything on the board anytime soon.. lol ](*,)

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 am

Nickk wrote:Sweet!
why short, so it can bust out of the waves when running it on a rough day? you always buy the longest one you can afford. if you don't want it deep move it up but you can never move a short one down!

wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscmike » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 am

Dont buy the longest you can afford , I've seen a guy that just bought a motor that on his particular boat could not be adjusted high enough and he could not go into shallow water. Talk to someone knowledgable on measuring and get the proper length and you will be much happier. As far as electric steer vs cable steer , it really depends on your fishing style. If you fish alot of open , deeper water electric steer would be fine. In water that hvy vegetation , nothing beats the cable drive. Most bass boats would opt for the cable drive. Congrats on the new to you boat ! 8-)

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:18 am

I got the 42" shaft and it works perfectly.. thanks for all of your help!

I just picked up the boat from getting the engine repaired and rewire for my new 24v TM... once all is done i will post up pics!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm

She's practically finished! I put her on the water on friday and sunday.. christened the boat with a nice 2.11 LMB on friday and then a 3lber yesterday! Everything is working perfectly as should! The boat was completely rewired, new fuse box, new TM & recessed TM foot pedal tray, new FF's on both front and back and lastly installed LED lights for at night. For my first bass boat, shes gorgeous! Now for those who saw this boat before i put my time into it, there was a foot of water inside the boat when i got it and most of the cables were old, shot out, black and the fuse box was completely corroded. It just made sense to fix everything the first time around. A lot of parts in the engine were replaced, but now it runs great! Enjoy..

PS: Bonus 3lb lmb from sUNDAY..

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:20 am

Jerry,

Looks great! What lake were the pictures from? You still ul fishing at all?

Ranger 619VS

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:14 am

Nice! Looks like a lot of labor of love has been put into it. More fishing, and less tackle hoarding! :lol:
What are you hauling her with?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 am

Ranger 619VS wrote:Jerry,

Looks great! What lake were the pictures from? You still ul fishing at all?

Ranger 619VS
Thanks.. i was at Pompton lake... Yea still doing some UL fishing but not too much.. more on the medium heavy side now with all the weeds all over every lake

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am

zodiak311 wrote:Nice! Looks like a lot of labor of love has been put into it. More fishing, and less tackle hoarding! :lol:
What are you hauling her with?
Yeah tell me about it! lol.. spent like 3k just on crap for the boat already but its practically brand new minus the carpet... im trailering her around with my jeep wrangler unlimited... its a beast!

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 am

Jerry the boat looks geart! CONGRATS =D>