Old boat, cracked transom...

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Old boat, cracked transom...

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 pm

I bought a used 1987 (if i remember correctly) fiberglass bass boat a few years ago and after about 30 trips or so we are having some major problems...
It has a 70 horsepower engine (johnson) which is fantastic: runs great, starts up fast. The problem is the transom. It seems to be cracking near the bolts that go through the transom and are used to hold the engine on. Last time I went on the water with the boat, it nearly sank from being so full of water, probably 100+ lbs worth. I was not aware that the transom was cracked until this. Luckily, we got out of there in time (full throttle and could barely plane!)

The motor has always bumped and waggled up and down on the transom (when we pull the boat out of water and up ramp it waggles a LOT). We use the motor supporter bar thing that goes under the motor to support it when we drive to and from the lake.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?
I am guessing that it needs a transom repair and some fiberglass repair.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Old boat, cracked transom...

Post by Wachtel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:25 am

The transom probably needs to be cut out and replaced and some reinforcement adeed. A wooden board works if it's embedded in the fiberglass.