SO, I trashed my prop yesterday

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

SO, I trashed my prop yesterday

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Yeah.....not a happy moment in time. Muddy, unfamiliar water.....unseen submerged boulder.....combined together, equals very bad juju....and now my prop looks like its been thru a blender. Was lucky to even make it back to the launch. By some miraculous grace of the fish Gods, my skeg avoided impact and is OK, not sure how, but I am thankful for that at least. Which brings me to my question! What do y'all think would be my best bet for replacement, on a 90 horse Evinrude E-tec? Something stainless surely, might as well replace it the right way since I have to do so....any particular brand or model I should be looking into? Thanks for the help, to any who can offer some...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SO, I trashed my prop yesterday

Post by goldrod » Fri May 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Wow man sorry to hear that but glad your okay.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 am

Hey thanks goldrod, I'm good to go, wasn't flying when it happened, was no danger to my person...just sux I'm gonna have to shell out money for a new prop..money that could have been better spent on more tackle :big grin:

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Was it a ss prop? Send it to mark croxton. I seen him fix some real nasty props. As for a small outboard like that I have no recommendation in pitch but rakers are very good props

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Your lucky you didn't damage the lower unit or drive shaft. You got off pretty cheap considering the amount of damage that could have taken place.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Be sure to check shaft to see if it might be bend.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:22 pm

What size prop was the damaged one? If aluminum, then remember that when changing to a S/S prop, you should increase the prop by 1" to 2". What boat is the E Tec sitting on ?

Renegade or Raker would be a good replacement.

Shame, not a nice way to start the year.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Take it to a prop guy. You'd be amazed at what they can fix. Aluminum is an easy fix, SS is harder but still doable (more expensive). I went to a Laser II SS from Aluminum and am quite happy.

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:48 am

BigG wrote:Be sure to check shaft to see if it might be bend.
This is really important!!! Though the lower unit may have avoided a direct impact if there's that much damage to your prop, you probably bent the prop shaft. Unattended, left to wobble and vibrate, your lower unit will blow-up one day.

Get it checked just to be safe. A couple of thou won't be visible to the naked eye but is enough to create a much more expensive repair down the road.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:..money that could have been better spent on more tackle :big grin:
Like you don't have enough Tackle already!! ;)
Sometimes I forget this is TT :big grin:
Paul Shibata wrote:
BigG wrote:Be sure to check shaft to see if it might be bend.
This is really important!!! Though the lower unit may have avoided a direct impact if there's that much damage to your prop, you probably bent the prop shaft. Unattended, left to wobble and vibrate, your lower unit will blow-up one day.

Get it checked just to be safe. A couple of thou won't be visible to the naked eye but is enough to create a much more expensive repair down the road.
I'll echo these comments, better safe then sorry!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, always appreciated...Had it replaced quite awhile ago, but in honesty did not ask the mechanic to check the shaft. Had a garbage year of fishing, barely got out at all, death in the family and a bunch of other stuff that put fishing way on the back burner...I think I took the boat out two or three times after that, and it seemed to run well...have to take it for some work soon anyway, so I will take y'all's advice and have things checked out thoroughly while its at the shop...