Whaler & Hydrasport (Updated with pics)

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Whaler & Hydrasport (Updated with pics)

Post by Gideon » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:00 am

Thanks for the info Seaksicknes!

I noticed that you own 2 boats. Which one is your primary, and which one performs better? I have been looking at some of the whalers. Nice boats, look like they can take a real beating, but our they worth the money? :wink:

Thanks again,
Gid

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Good bite @ 37/48

Post by seasicknes » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:22 am

yes, I do have two boats.
The 17-whaler (montauk) is my towing boat. I like to tow this one because it is light and very easy to tow. I use that boat when I tow to OREGON and as far south to SAN DIEGO.
They are tough little boats. It can take the pounding of the ocean. There gunnels are low to the water line, netting fish is really easy on that boat. Its quick and agile. It has level floatation so if you get swamped the boat will not sink. Also it will level out on its own and its very stable when it does get swamped. Plus, it fits the garage which is a real big PLUS. No need to put the boat in a storage yard. The montauk is not the smoothest riding boat (because of hull design), but its fits the multi-purpose needs that I have. What I mean about multi-purpose is: Diving for abalone, trolling for salmon, drift fishing for rockcod (whenever that opens up again),lake fishing and my RV can pull it with ease. The 17-whaler (outrage) is a smoother riding hull, but it doesn't fit the garage.

The 22-hydrasport (walkaround) lives on the trailer for the winter. Then during the spring I put her in the water and she lives in san francisco marina. This is my primary boat for fishing the ocean out of the san francisco general area. Its deep V is smoother than the montauk. Usually use that boat for halibut, salmon, tuna and stripers.

As far as gas mileage. The 17 whaler montauk has much better gas mileage than the 22 hydrasport.

Ken

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Good bite @ 37/48

Post by seasicknes » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:27 am

Are the whalers worth the money ?

Postivies: 1)Will not sink, will level out. 2) Good gas mileage 3) Easy clean up 4) Easy to tow 5) resale value is there 6) on the montuak- it fits the garage 7)above deck gas tank so you can see how much gas you got. 8) no rusty gas tank so no worries 9)easy to net fish

Negatives: 1) rough ride when there is chop 2) no protection from the sun or wind

My opinion is "YES" its worth it.

Ken

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pic: Whaler & Hydrasport

Post by JIP » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:35 pm

These are pictures of seasicknes's rides.

Last edited by JIP on Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitro
Angler
Angler

Re: Whaler & Hydrasport (Updated with pics)

Post by Nitro » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:45 pm

Nice boats Seasicknes!

Do you have any experience with Mako Marine watercraft? I've looked at some of these boats but don't know anyone with experience with one.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Thu May 01, 2003 8:56 am

Yes, I have a friend that has a 171 mako center console. Its a smoother riding hull compared to the boston whaler (MONTAUK), not the (OUTRAGE). With some modifications to the trailer and center console windshield you can make it fit a garage.

My buddies 171 mako is powered with a 90 hp Mercury. Speed and mileage is good. Its capable of handling more power, I believe up to 135 hp (but not sure).

The ride is smoother, but its a wetter boat. Notice that the center console is pushed back more to the stern.

Ken

Nitro
Angler
Angler

Post by Nitro » Thu May 01, 2003 12:02 pm

Thanks Saeasicknes, I'll be sure to look at both the whaler and the mako this season. I'm kind of leaning towards the Mako becasue I have had other people tell me about the rough ride of the whalers as well.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Thu May 01, 2003 12:22 pm

Nitro,
If your in the market for a NEW whaler. The newer version of the montauk came out last year. Its option for power are 90 hp 4-stroke Mercury. Which the top end of the motor is really a yamaha and the lower end is a merc. A stainless steel prop and able to go 43-45 mph on the water at wot (wide open throttle).
The new montauk (mt170) hull shape has changed a bit and the rails are higher. The ride has smooth out some too. Still quick and agile
Over all length, width and weight of the new montauk has grown, and is still able to fit the garage.

Go for a ride in both the mako and the new montauk.

I got photo's at home of the new mt170. My buddy purchased the very first one on the west coast. The photo showed both his and my montauk in my garage side by side you so can see the differences in the front end. Did a side by side comparison and things has changed some. Like the hull design, center console and the seats are different.

I will send the photo's to JIP to post and you can see the boat.

As far as mako 171. Its the same design that they have on it. I "think"you can get it in a 4 stroke . Besides that, it hasn't changed all that much in since 1996.

Ken

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Thu May 01, 2003 12:29 pm

don't forget to check out the edgewater boats too.

Ken