Canoe vs Kayak

TnTom
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Canoe vs Kayak

Post by TnTom » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:01 pm

I always read a lot about fishing from the Kayak but very little about the other. I fish from boats and canoes but never a yak. A co-worker often talked about his yak and fishing from it and tried to convince me to get one. I sold my 18' Grumman square stern but fished it for years and a 15" deep-V Grumman and sold it and now using a 15" square stern Grumman canoe and still havent dipped my toe in the yakin adventure. Has any one spent time in both the canoe and the yak and which or what pro's and con came with both for you?
Attachments
c4.jpg
c4.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 7297 times

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Canoe vs Kayak

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:28 am

Welcome to the forum.

I made the transition from kayak to canoe back in 2019, here's the thread ... http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=82390

Have not regretted it at all, for me the comfort & "fishability" factors trump virtually any kayak. Good luck with yours, tight lines !

TnTom
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Canoe vs Kayak

Post by TnTom » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 am

Thats a beautiful craft. I love the number of support ribs, the seating and yourf motor set up. And the weight is incredible.

I still havent had a chance to put mine in the water I just bought it used from a Kayaker. So Im anxious to get it wet. I fished my 18' Grumman for years,as a kid my Dad rigged a mast and 75 sq ft of sail, side boards and a tiller and Id sail that thing all of our vacation lake in Indiana, Koontz Lake, and confess I tipped it on a couple of occasions but it was a hoot. My dad bought it in the 60's and I took possession of it in '98. The sail set up long gone.
It was narrow in the beam and tippy. I rigged a trolling motor, dont remember the battery set up but actually ended up with a second and sort of clumy but it moved along pretty well. The down side was standing was risky but I learned to overcome the un-comfortableness of sitting and fishing, and I dont recommend this if your fishing gator infested waters, I would be sitting in the stern and just hung my legs over the side and it was perfect and fishing became a pleasure fishing from it. The biggest down side was the wind and the strain on the batteries and running them down and having to paddle it some distance back to the landing. But I loved it. I sold it and went to the Grumman 15' Deep V with a 25hp Evinrude, Its was great but I was not getting to the water much and sold it when work was just making near inpossible to find the time.
Well Im retired now and have the time again and bought this one a month ago. The 18' was near 110 lbs but I could load it on top of my pick by rigging a T-bar upright, the canoe unside down Id lash the stern to the tbar and with a carriers on the cab roof I could walk the bow around (the tbar would pivot) to the front of the truck and it was even with the front bumper and Id tie it and off Id go, hauled it that way for years until I found a trailer which made life much easier.

I dont know what the new one weighs but its heavy! and being shorter at 15' that old method and with the weight the roof method didnt cut it and Ive got in on a trailer now. No motor yet but im getting a 4hp Merc for it. Ill paddle till i get it. I found a new 2019 for $765.00 vs a 2023 for $1475.00 not sure what the warranty will be on the 2019 if any. But its new in the box.

The weather is getting about right so I see getting it in the water soon. The bow looks like a wind catcher but it is what it is and I hope its a little more (well more ) stable standing that the 18' foot. Ive a 50lb lead billet ive loaded in the bow. How does your ride in the bow, meaning does it lift much when you sitting in the stern at the tiller?

I rrealy like yours and the bow handle another great feature

Thanks for the welcome the forum is great. Im really enjoying getting back to the fishing I love and being able to get back on the water.
Attachments
c5.jpg
c5.jpg (77.23 KiB) Viewed 7263 times