Sea Eagle 8 or 9

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Sea Eagle 8 or 9

Post by atfrith » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:53 pm

Hey i was just wondering if anybody out there owns, has ridin in, or knows anything about the Sea Eagle 8 or 9, specifically the 8. I'm looking to buy an 8 with the floorboards and motor mount and put a 30lb thrust trolling motor on it. Thanks for any comments.

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sea Eagle 8 or 9

Post by Aerotus » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:47 pm

Welcome to the forum atfrith

I don't own one, but according to the review on here it looks sound.
Two adults and a dog can stand in it. that's good for fishing.
I bet if inflated fully it would ride pretty good with a trolling motor.
30lb thrust should be enough, and if all fails, there are the oars.
If you do get it, please come back with your experiences with this
vessel. Thanks!

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am

I'm curious about how a rod holder could be mounted in the inflatable boat. I guess you could use your ice chest as a base.

I added a 55 lb. thrust Minn Kota trolling motor on my Creek Company ODC 816 inflatable pontoon boat! :shock:

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:41 pm

Wow that thing must go pretty good, 10mph that is my guess, i have an old min kota 24# thrust and i go 5-6 on my row boat, maybe you go faster, do you have any idea on how fast it goes.

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys and about mounting a rod holder... I think i saw on some other site that some one mounted a rod holder on the back seat, where the motor mount is attached. It looked like they just mounted it right onto the seat where it was out of the way. And ya i will post somethin as soon as i get it and try it out. I actually found a used Sea Eagle 8 that has the motor mount and the floorboards that i'm getting for 150, i just have to go buy some sort of battery and charger and the motor. Do you know what kind of batter/charger i will need? and about how much they cost?? thanks

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm

[font=Century Gothic]atfrith,

I bought my Minn Kota Endura 55 lb. thrust electric trolling motor from Cabelas.  They have a deal where the motor includes a free ($79 value) Minn Kota battery charger.  There is also free shipping on the the deal as it is drop shipped from the manufacturer.  Total is $219  Of course if you live in Nebraska or a state that has a Cabelas, then you have to pay sales tax.

You could also mount the rod holders to the front wood bench seat (if you have one).  The front bench seat can be purchased separately if your boat doesn't have one.[/font]

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:05 pm

Thanks Reno Reeler, i'm gonna look into that, i bet that inflatable boat would CRUISE with a 55 lb thrust motor. Also, what kind of battery do u think i would need with that, i am knew to this and i don't know if i can just use a car battery or what? And ya, it will have a front bench, but i'm not sure if i'm going to mount a rod holder or not, maybe after i get all the motor stuff over and done with.[/quote]

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:53 pm

55lb thrust for your pontoon Reno! :shock:
Let us know how fast you can go on that baby!

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:50 pm

I dont think you can use a car battery, i am pretty sure it has to be a deep cycle battery. You can find them pretty much anywhere, i always look for sales and carry two with me. I figure 1 moving around fishing, and 1 to get home but with a 36 pound thrust motor, you get a good 6 hours of power, maybe more.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:02 pm

[font=Palatino Linotype]I've got an Optima BlueTop Marine Dual Purpose Deep Cycle Marine battery that is phenomenal.  I purchased mine at my local Costco.  It's expensive but very powerful and efficient.[/font]

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:31 pm

i not sure but now i'm thinkin 55 lb of thrust might be a little much for an inflatable. I am looking at a MinnKota 30lb thrust at my local Sportsman's Warehouse for 89 bucks, but i'd also have to get the battery and charger. What do you think i should do? Get the 55lb thrust motor with the charger for 219, or buy the 30lb and the other stuff serperate?

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:38 pm

dont forget the bigger the motor the less efficient and the faster it sucks down the battery, with my guess you will only get 3-4 hours of fishing on a normal battery.

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:44 pm

i'm finally gettin my boat next wednesday, i'll let u know how it goes after i get to try it out on the water. i've decided on a 30lb thrust minn kota trolling motor that i found at Sportsman's Warehouse. I might also get a fish finder, but i have never used one before so i dun really know what to do, lol. I was lookin at one of those fishin' buddy ones that have the pole thing, but then again, i might get a normal fish finder, we'll just have to see what happens

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:05 pm

atfirth,

If you decide to buy a fishfinder, look into purchasing a trolling motor transducer mount for your transducer. Minn-Kota makes one that fits nicely on their trolling motors.

You can't screw the transducer into your inflatable. :shock:

Minn Kota part #MKR-15

atfrith
Angler
Angler

Post by atfrith » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:28 pm

lol, thats what i was thinking. I was also looking at those suction cup transducers that some brands have. If i get one of those fishin' buddy ones though than i don't have to worry about it, so thats probably what i'll end up gettin.