Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 am

Pegasus wrote:Where are bocas bearings made if I can ask
Most likely here in the US?

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Boca Bearing Origins?

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 pm

I am not sure they are made here in the US. They do not advertise that they are made here (or do not advertise it prominently - like many US based manufacturers do).

In addition, I do not know of a surefire way you are getting genuine Bocas. I have received some Bocas (or some I thought were Bocas) with laser etching on side of them, and then some without the laser etching.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:57 am

I posted about Boca before they have changed their bearings or at least the construction if you will I have a pair that I bought a couple of years ago the balls in the bearings are a different color darker to be exact, and there is more of them being smaller in size.
The ones that I recently purchased the balls are silver in color and there are larger in size so there is less of them with that being said for me at least the new ones do not perform like the old ones I could have sent them back but I kept them I only used them
for certain application like pitching not for distance casting for that i use ZPI.
I just want to say that the folks at Boca are good people and they were willing to take them back and credit back my card.
I just don't know why they changed the product.
Last edited by Pegasus on Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:43 pm

I, too, like the older style bearings better than the newer silver-looking style. I suspect they changed sourcing companies, as I have not been able to see any major improvement if any over the old style bearing.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Gulfcoastwader wrote:I, too, like the older style bearings better than the newer silver-looking style. I suspect they changed sourcing companies, as I have not been able to see any major improvement if any over the old style bearing.
I was starting to believe I was the only one experiencing this , I know that there is people on this forum who think that the new ones are better I certainly don't I flushed the stock bearings and I was getting better distance with them over the new Bocas.
What I found that they performed better than the stock in pitching they had a better flow and found them easier to pitch with so
I kept them if you want distance get ZPI actually I am goyng to give ABEC 7 stainless steel bearings and see what kind of result
I get with them. By the way I run my ceramic bearings dry no lube.

Regards

aron123
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by aron123 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks for share......

harry

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 am

My most recent experience is they are not consistent in performance. I bought 2 sets of Lightnings and one set would spin noticeably better than the other. The "bad" set was installed in my TD-Z 105H and clean stock bearings will best these Lightnings easily. Not so with the "good" set that went into my TD-Z 103P, those work quite well. I'm going to talk with somebody there before I order again.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:40 pm

jeff h wrote:My most recent experience is they are not consistent in performance. I bought 2 sets of Lightnings and one set would spin noticeably better than the other. The "bad" set was installed in my TD-Z 105H and clean stock bearings will best these Lightnings easily. Not so with the "good" set that went into my TD-Z 103P, those work quite well. I'm going to talk with somebody there before I order again.
In my limited experience with them they've taken great care of me. I had a set of Lightning 5's that weren't up to par with the other 5 sets I have. I contacted them and they promptly replaced them with OS 7's. I'd give them a chance, I'm sure they'll treat you right.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:25 am

John Puckett wrote:
jeff h wrote:My most recent experience is they are not consistent in performance. I bought 2 sets of Lightnings and one set would spin noticeably better than the other. The "bad" set was installed in my TD-Z 105H and clean stock bearings will best these Lightnings easily. Not so with the "good" set that went into my TD-Z 103P, those work quite well. I'm going to talk with somebody there before I order again.
In my limited experience with them they've taken great care of me. I had a set of Lightning 5's that weren't up to par with the other 5 sets I have. I contacted them and they promptly replaced them with OS 7's. I'd give them a chance, I'm sure they'll treat you right.
i been doing business with them for years....they'll take care of you for sure. i have never known them not to stand behind their products 100%

bearing origins vary....i've been told that they carry bearings made in Japan, Germany, and China...with each factory having a in house inspector to aid in quality control. of course, when you are producing hundreds of thousands to millions of bearings a year, a few bad ones are bound to slip through the cracks