Disappointment...? Help please

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Disappointment...? Help please

Post by Marcos82 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi!
Because of many online videos in which the original bearings on baitcasters were replaced by the ceramic orange seal boca bearings, I decided to order some directly from Boca and tune up my Revo SX. On the videos the spool kept spinning sometimes up to 1 minute and 20 seconds. I said WOOOW. Well, I got the bearings(fast and easy transaction by the way) from Boca and replaced them.

My spool doesnt turns more than 7 seconds having all tension knobs completely loose. I am not expecting to get the spool spinning one minute, but come on... ONLY 7 SECONDS???

Am I missing something? Is there anything else I need to do?

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Disappointment...? Help please

Post by Marcos82 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:58 pm

And of course, magnetic brake system off as well...

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm

assuming everything else is in good working order, how does it cast? I guess for me thats the ultimate test. Maybe it needs some break in, maybe something is wrong, who knows. I know that when I replace my bearings I do the spin test, but the ultimate test really comes when you use it, is it better?
What kind of/how much oil did you use? Too much/too heavy isn't good.
Some reels by design will have better freespool traits because of the way they are built. Big heavy spools will spin for a long time, but require alot of inertia for startup. Light and or designed spools (with less mass further from the axle) start very easily but don't spin on their own as long.
How does it fish? I could care less how long my reel spins if it accomplishes what I need it too. My CH51e doesn't spin forever, but with ABEC 7s i can throw a light bait with ease, and a heavy bait can almost spool me on an underhand pitch.
My 201e5 spins well on clean stock bearings, but with a heavy spool full of 12 lb flouro, doesn't start up well, yet spins into oblivion when I launch a CB-20 with it.

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm

I didnt cast it yet... I supose until casting it I cannot really now how they work... you are right...

I didnt used any oil. Usually in the videos they just put them in without oil. Should I? if I should which one? In some occations I read about a lubricant or oil which is excellent but you have to re-oil or re-lubricate it after a few time on the water.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 pm

7 secs might be a tad low on the "spin" test, but it depends on the reel and if there is line or not on it..
the spin test is a frigin joke..
I cant tell you how many people walk into bass pro or ANY shop and spin the spools on 40$ reels and they spin..
When working shows thats all people did and based their buys on a lot of reels or they see a reel thats 80$ with 11 bearings and think its FAR better then a 200$ reel with 7 bearings.. :lol: :doh:
Give the reel some casts and see how it does..
if it still is not hummmmin then I would Flush the bearings, let dry and see what happens as who knows the bearings could be contaminated with slight oil..
did you order the Bearings DRY? LD

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:09 am

I just got the ABEC 7 Orange Sealed bearings which I think they come dry... Should I dissasembly them and check if they are contaminated? I will cast the reel before and check the performance before I do that anyway.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:43 am

Just to make sure I would flush the bearings..
Make some casts
If it still isn't up to par contact Larry at boca..

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

i just upgraded to orange seal for my chronarch50e, it increases the castingdistance by 20%, reaching the same distance of my pixy for only $30. I think it is worth it.

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:54 am

During this time I had the chance to test the reel a little bit more. at first I had to really tighten the magnetic brakes and I kept having backlashes using light lures. After a time I could control them better. Its like fishing with a new reel. You have to get used to it.

Although I was mainly using larger lures, now I can say the performance is better. Its like the bearings started to perform better after a time of usage. Overall I am happy.

I need to test the reel now a little bit more with lighter lures...

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Boca's makes 2 types of Orange Seal bearings.

1st. This one has a crown retainer with smaller ceramic balls , but has more of them, I like these the best. I have them in
one of my Chronarchs I run them dry. I loosened the cast control knob till there is an obvious side to side play ,and turned
all the brakes off. With no line on the spool I timed the spin, just short of a minute whit line it will spin longer.

2nd. This one has a ribbon retainer bigger balls but less of them I personally don't like these with the same reel ,and
conditions as I mentioned above they wouldn't spin longer than 30 seconds at best.
How you tell the difference between the 2 the one with the ribbon retainer looks the same on both sides
the ones with the crown retainer looks different from one side to the other.
Next time you order ask them for the bearing with the crown retainer I am sure they will work well for you.

Marcos82 wrote:Hi!
Because of many online videos in which the original bearings on baitcasters were replaced by the ceramic orange seal boca bearings, I decided to order some directly from Boca and tune up my Revo SX. On the videos the spool kept spinning sometimes up to 1 minute and 20 seconds. I said WOOOW. Well, I got the bearings(fast and easy transaction by the way) from Boca and replaced them.

My spool doesnt turns more than 7 seconds having all tension knobs completely loose. I am not expecting to get the spool spinning one minute, but come on... ONLY 7 SECONDS???

Am I missing something? Is there anything else I need to do?

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

Good answer, thank a lot Pegasus