Boca Plier Problems?

FUNTOPUNCH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Boca Plier Problems?

Post by FUNTOPUNCH » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

First and foremost, although this post regards a seemingly defective set of Boca pliers, I'd like to acknowledge that I'm not writing this in an attempt to preach negative sentiment regarding the product. I love Boca. I'm simply attempting to gain insight into how to proceed.

I own two Boca spool-pin pliers, one of which has performed wonderfully. My other set, however, keeps loosing it's footing on the pin when pressure is applied. There is now scarring at the edge of the slot that the pin poises against during compression (the shorter slot). Despite my efforts, pins always want to pop out during my efforts to manipulate them, scarring the edge of said slot in the process. What's worse is this has damaged a few pins.

The other pair, which I've owned far longer than the other, has not presented any of these issues. For this reason, I am confident that this isn't user error. Should I be cautious using the un-damaged pliers, or is this a fluke defect?

Thanks.

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Boca Plier Problems?

Post by pro reel » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:01 am

The slots are only for re-installing pins. Are you using the slot to press pins out? If so, that's to much presure and it will slide off and round over the edge of the slot. Once that happens it's shot.

FUNTOPUNCH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FUNTOPUNCH » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:22 am

I've never used the slot for removal purposes. A friend of mine has, unfortunately, but he literally reamed a chunked off the edge of said slot. Mine exhibits only slight marring, but enough to cause issues.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 am

you COULD contact boca and see what they say as they might just swap out the pliers for you.. 8-)
you might also want to make sure all those Hex Screws are all tight