Lowrance, Simrad or Garmin? Structure Scan or Topo map?

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lowrance, Simrad or Garmin? Structure Scan or Topo map?

Post by SWH » Thu May 17, 2012 8:40 am

Hey!

I have been all around looking at fishfinders with gps, but can't seem to get solid answers and most of them are just too biased in terms of brand favouritism.

There are two features specific for each brand. Simrad and Lowrance got the Structure Scan module and Garmin offers a topographic map of all Danish lakes. So this is the most significant point as I'm going to exclude one of these features. Then there is the sounder module where Lowrance and Simrad is supposed to the best with their Navico unit, but Garmin just released their new GSD24 which has been received well according to my knowledge.

For an identical price I can chose an HDS8 - Gen2 from Lowrance or a GPSMAP4010 with an external GSD24 sounder from Garmin. Both units run the same resolution at 800 x 600, but the Garmin screen is larger with its 10'4".

I'm told that GPSMAP4010 is great and so is the HDS8, but which one wins? Is the structurescan from Lowrance more important than a topo map, more screen size and user-friendliness? Perhaps Garmin adds a structurescan module to the lineup at some point as they purchased the technology, but this could take years.

Any feedback is appreciated! Ah, I mostly fish for pike, perch and zander in freshwater.

mike12345
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Lowrance, Simrad or Garmin? Structure Scan or Topo map?

Post by mike12345 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:17 pm

SWH wrote:Hey!

I have been all around looking at fishfinders with gps, but can't seem to get solid answers and most of them are just too biased in terms of brand favouritism.

There are two features specific for each brand. Simrad and Lowrance got the Structure Scan module and Garmin offers a topographic map of all Danish lakes. So this is the most significant point as I'm going to exclude one of these features. Then there is the sounder module where Lowrance and Simrad is supposed to the best with their Navico unit, but Garmin just released their new GSD24 which has been received well according to my knowledge.

For an identical price I can chose an HDS8 - Gen2 from Lowrance or a GPSMAP4010 with an external GSD24 sounder from Garmin. Both units run the same resolution at 800 x 600, but the Garmin screen is larger with its 10'4".

I'm told that GPSMAP4010 is great and so is the HDS8, but which one wins? Is the structurescan from Lowrance more important than a best wood carved lake maps, more screen size and user-friendliness? Perhaps Garmin adds a structurescan module to the lineup at some point as they purchased the technology, but this could take years.

Any feedback is appreciated! Ah, I mostly fish for pike, perch and zander in freshwater.
Hello SWH,
I had used Garmin 010-01550-00 Striker 4 Bbuilt-in GPS Fish Finder. Works great! I installed it on my kayak and had it on the water this weekend. I like the gps functionality although the screen may not be big enough to use both that and the sonar at the same time. It was a breeze to set up and install. I run it by a 12v power tool battery.