New Helix units

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Helix units

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:22 am

I recently brought the Helix 7 gps DI. I went DI only, because I have a ram mounted 898si unit on the console and the bow.
One of the things that you will notice is that the unit is so much brighter, and that is to me the best part. It has an internal
antenna which is good but its cheaper in price as well. I personally started out with lowrance and switched to humminbird after just issue after issue with lowrance. Depending on the model you get you won't get the quick view buttons but I don't really worry about that. Another thing is that the screens aren't like the old model with the plastic going around them. These are more like your cell phone screen. Over all I can say i am pretty happy with the unit, and my only gripe if I had one is that on my model I have to get another lake chip ( don't remember what brand I already have). If you get any unit under the 9 than you can't link them together like my 898si are linked.

Just something for those looking to buy.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Helix units

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Thanks, I am/was looking at the Helix 5 for my kayak, and there weren't that many user reviews out there, so thank you for yours.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 pm

no problem, its why we are all here.

BigJim
Angler
Angler

Post by BigJim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I have a Helix 5 SI on my kayak. It's a nice unit and a huge upgrade from the Piranhamax 190c I had previously. It takes a bit of dialing in at first, but, once I got it how I want it, it's pretty easy to use. The detail is wonderful on the hi-res screen. The side imaging is the feature that sold me on the unit. It works really well at kayak speeds if you turn down the scroll rate a bit.