Old panasonic lumix problems

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Old panasonic lumix problems

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:39 pm

I have a old panasonic lumix digital camera that used to be my parents, but they got a new one so they let me have it. When i try to turn it on after putting in a [charged] battery, it doesn't turn on. I recently got a new battery from a battery shop which worked and the camera turned on. After a few fishing trips and lots of pics, the battery died and i had to recharge it. The charger for this battery (also about 5-6 years old) had a green light that stay on while charging and flashes when it is done. After a few hours of charging, the light was flashing so i took the battery off and tried it in my camera. It didn't turn on...

A few things to note:
1. Before buying a new batt., my parent had a battery for it that came with the camera which doesn't work either. I tried charging it, and the light flashed and it appeared that it was charging, but i guess not...
2. When i put in a newly charged battery, and turn it on nothing happens at all. When i have the switch in the on position and press the "picture taking" button (to the second stage / all the way down) it makes a little beep that is very very quiet. I can only hear it from a few feet away but only slightly. It is definitely a beep, not some spring or something mechanical. I don't know what this beep means though.

please help! all help is appreciated

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Old panasonic lumix problems

Post by lpquick » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:33 am

Unfortunately due to technology all digital cameras are throw away, unlike the solid robust 35mm analog cameras of our past. What this means is they are not built to be repaired after a relatively short life. It sounds like the circuit or program that operates the camera is starting to go on the old lumix. They have no resale value and are meant to be replaced when issues such as you’re describing occur. Sorry but it’s time to recycle.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:21 am

Is it fixable though? I feel like it is just the charger but i am not sure. I had the thing working two-three weeks ago, but that was when the battery was still on the same charge it received from the battery shop (they come precharged).

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:28 am

You can probably find a cheap chinese charger on ebay for it. Worth a try before you bin it I suppose?

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:28 pm

smells like the charger is screwed up to me.

New battery had the camera working a couple weeks ago. Battery died, now camera doesn't work. It may be that the charger died and is now killing your batteries. I would get ahold of a voltmeter and see what the battery is putting out after it's charged. The proper output voltage should be listed right on the battery somewhere.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 pm

smalliesteve wrote:smells like the charger is screwed up to me.

New battery had the camera working a couple weeks ago. Battery died, now camera doesn't work. It may be that the charger died and is now killing your batteries. I would get ahold of a voltmeter and see what the battery is putting out after it's charged. The proper output voltage should be listed right on the battery somewhere.
I am almost positive it is the charger. After charging the battery with it, and putting it in the camera, I can hear little beeps when I press buttons (and the camera is on) which are so faint I have to put it right up to my ear. I think this is cause it wants to turn on but it can't cause it doesn't have enough juice.