Set to Destroy! Okuma’s Hakai Might Just Change How You View the Brand’s Baitcasters Entirely

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Set to Destroy! Okuma’s Hakai Might Just Change How You View the Brand’s Baitcasters Entirely

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 am

Introduction: The Hakai is Okuma’s newest generation low-profile reels that have been developed by the ground up to raise the bar for the brand’s entire lineup of baitcasters. This reel makes use of quality materials like magnesium in a new compact form factor with and exciting new features to deliver an enhanced, and differentiated, user experience. Does the Hakai destroy when it comes to casting? Let’s find out.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumahakai.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Set to Destroy! Okuma’s Hakai Might Just Change How You View the Brand’s Baitcasters Entirely

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:28 am

Hey can we get a review on the G. Loomis GCX rod used in that review?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Set to Destroy! Okuma’s Hakai Might Just Change How You View the Brand’s Baitcasters Entirely

Post by y2k88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Reel looks promising!

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:28 am
Hi Hulkster! Thanks for the request and on it! It's one of the upcoming articles and we just need to finish the RoD deflection measurements/comparisons and this one will be in the mix. Been fishing it with a variety of reels including the Hakai, but mostly the Curado 150MGL.

Best,
Z

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am

Zander wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm
Hulkster wrote:
Hi Hulkster! Thanks for the request and on it! It's one of the upcoming articles and we just need to finish the RoD deflection measurements/comparisons and this one will be in the mix. Been fishing it with a variety of reels including the Hakai, but mostly the Curado 150MGL.

Best,
Z
awesome cant wait! What model was that rod?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:31 pm

Do the handle knobs have bearings? My arthritic hands really love knobs with bearings, especially for moving baits.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi Mark,

Good question, and I'll go back and add this in when I have a chance to shoot some images. The handle knobs are relatively smooth but they do not have bearings, and rely on bushings only.

Z

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am
Zander wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm
Hulkster wrote:

Best,
Z
awesome cant wait! What model was that rod?
Hi Hulkster, It's the 843C Mag bass. Classic action and the one that we were interested in seeing how it stacks up to the classic models.

Z

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 am

Zander wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm
Hi Mark,

Good question, and I'll go back and add this in when I have a chance to shoot some images. The handle knobs are relatively smooth but they do not have bearings, and rely on bushings only.

Z
Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you know if any aftermarket handles with bearings fit these reels?

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:21 pm

You usually include country of origin in reviews. Is Hakai made in Taiwan or China?

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:19 pm

rando wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:21 pm
You usually include country of origin in reviews. Is Hakai made in Taiwan or China?
Hi Rando,

Appreciate the note and looks like I missed that in the matrix. I can confirm that the Hakai is made in China, and I've updated the matrix in the review.

Thanks,
Z

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:42 am

Zander wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:19 pm
rando wrote:
Hi Rando,

Appreciate the note and looks like I missed that in the matrix. I can confirm that the Hakai is made in China, and I've updated the matrix in the review.

Thanks,
Z
Thanks for quick response!

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:46 am

rando wrote:
Seems like 'Made in Taiwan' is not allowed anymore? https://www.businessinsider.com/china-d ... ?r=US&IR=T

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:05 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:46 am
rando wrote:
Seems like 'Made in Taiwan' is not allowed anymore? https://www.businessinsider.com/china-d ... ?r=US&IR=T
one of the reasons why I asked.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:35 am

Which Hakai is this? There is the centrifugal brake one, the finesse one and the pitching one. Does the centrifugal one not exist and that's a TW error?