Return of the Enthusiasm : Shimano Japan's Calcutta Conquest DC

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:52 am

Introduction: As I sit down to write this review, I looked back on the last time I explored a Shimano Calcutta/Conquest DC (digital cast control) reel. A quick look through TackleTour's archives reveals a review published in August of 2011 for the Conquest 50/51DC. Has it really been almost 10 years since I fished this platform? Shimano Japan renewed their Conquest DC line in 2019, but only offered it in the 200 size. Forgetting that the form factor of their latest Conquest reels is actually one size removed on the palming size (meaning the 200 size actually palms like the older 100), I bypassed that model. Then, earlier this year (in 2020), Shimano Japan introduced the 100 size - and in two gear ratios at that. When I heard the news, I immediately placed an order. Here now is our review on Shimano's 2020 Conquest 100/101 DC.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... 1hgdc.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Return of the Enthusiasm : Shimano Japan's Calcutta Conquest DC

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:11 am

Man what a write up!
After getting my second conquest 100hg I didn’t think I had a need for anything else and then this write up perks my interest by a lot. I’m glad to see that it comes in two different gear ratios. The 6.8:1 is just something I crank and s/b with as well as weightless plastics. Looks like I’ll be saving up for the DC version.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:14 pm

As always, I really enjoyed reading your review. The pricing at other JDM shops is even better than what you write in the article. Seems like some shops have better relationships with the manufacturers than others...??? Thanks for the details and I always look forward to reading all the write ups.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

The JPY price expressed in the spec table is the official list price of that reel in Japan. Actual retail prices of JDM reels always vary. We refer to JapanTackle.com in our reviews out of respect because they have supported this site for many years help making it possible for us to bring you these reviews.
Cal, Managing Editor

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:28 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm
The JPY price expressed in the spec table is the official list price of that reel in Japan. Actual retail prices of JDM reels always vary. We refer to JapanTackle.com in our reviews out of respect because they have supported this site for many years help making it possible for us to bring you these reviews.
I have purchased some hard to find reels from the site. Great place to get good things even with the current shipping issues and supply problems. I was just referring to what you opined. About JDM MAP or lack there of...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 am

ftl1951 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:28 pm
even with the current shipping issues and supply problems.
It can be maddening but even worse is the wait to receive parts for building out a fishing rod :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm

Took the plunge for the very first time. Just received the reel and the only thing I had available was a super rakkai and with some floro clear practice line I’ve made several cast in the pond. I didn’t buy this for any specific purpose but I kinda like it on the SR. Cast are accurate and it’s a good set up for a mb buzzbait.

Thanks for an awesome review
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:57 pm

Been looking forward to this, grabbed the initial DC200 4gear ratio then the 6 when it came out so it was a matter of time.

Good write up as always

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Totally agree with the previous comments. One of your best write-ups, the "Dark Lord" strikes again.

Ordered the 101HG on Monday, delivered today and WOW! I have relatively small hands and it is a perfect fit.

Now I have "bookends"; the OG 101DC (my primary cranking reel) and its current "descendant" which will initially be paired with my 'fishing version' MB Super Destruction next weekend to see how they 'play' together.

Doc

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:49 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Totally agree with the previous comments. One of your best write-ups, the "Dark Lord" strikes again.

Ordered the 101HG on Monday, delivered today and WOW! I have relatively small hands and it is a perfect fit.

Now I have "bookends"; the OG 101DC (my primary cranking reel) and its current "descendant" which will initially be paired with my 'fishing version' MB Super Destruction next weekend to see how they 'play' together.

Doc
So sweet man. 8-)

What type of line is going on her, and for what techniques?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 pm

I ended up after many trails with 30lb powerpro V2
Shimano poison Adrena 7’2” heavy for yammy and zoom fluke style baits
I only had several good bites with this cold front but the wind was howling and the strength of the reel and sensitivity of the rod has led me to believe this is probably the best setup for the technique. The rod has plent of give but the braid certainly makes the difference. I was using 40lb 832 braid but it had so much friction that I could tell my distance was suffering.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:29 am

Hi all,

I am wondering what the differences are (besides the DC part) between the 2020 Calcutta Conquest DC and the 2021 Calcutta Conquest.

Thanks all.