The Thoroughly Capable, If Somewhat Uninspiring New Alphas

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 pm

Introduction: At the end of January 2021, we shared a preview of Daiwa Japan's new, Alphas SV TW 800. In that article, we took a detailed look in to the differences between this latest refresh and the original, purple powerhouse. Since that preview, I've had time to fish this reel to discover just how well the updated platform holds up and whether it answers the call to its legacy as the original Scorpion killer.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/review21daiwaalphassvtw.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The Thoroughly Capable, If Somewhat Uninspiring New Alphas

Post by eklikewhoa » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:16 am

Daiwa is definitely moving past shimano or is it shimano is falling behind

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 am

Dang over $300??? I paid $230 for mine and I think it’s well worth the price of entry at that point.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:13 pm

Paying $300 for this reel, nope. Japan Tackle has it for $239 (four day delivery to the Bay area, including the weekend) and since that link is in the review, not sure about the $300 statement.

A 10g (slightly less than 3/8 oz.) casting plug was 'flying' 35-40 yards and 19g (slightly over 5/8 oz.) plug was 60-70 yards, both with moderate casting effort at my 'casting park' with distances and targets marked. Retrieve was super smooth, equal to my new Zillions.

This new Alphas has definitely replaced my supertuned PX68 in tournament rotation. No comparison to the 'original' Alphas 103, ito 103 AI or R-edition 103, all of which I own. Superior in every way, in my opinion.

And I expect even better performance after my disassembly, cleaning, polishing, tuning and regreasing/oiling cycle.

Doc

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 pm

eklikewhoa wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:16 am
Daiwa is definitely moving past shimano or is it shimano is falling behind
Subjective :but I’d say I would agree to disagree.

I think that in the round reel arena Shimano has zero competition.
I’m just talking normal braking system casting reels.
I get that the new alpha and zillion are a hit and honestly they remind me of the bantam reel. Aside from weight I can not understand what people don’t like about the shimano antares AR. It’s closest competition is the Steez A or CT that I know of. I’m not saying one is better than the other I’m saying that they are both pushing the envelope in advance ergonomic, material and performance.

Cant go wrong with either.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:30 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:13 pm
Paying $300 for this reel, nope. Japan Tackle has it for $239 (four day delivery to the Bay area, including the weekend) and since that link is in the review, not sure about the $300 statement.

A 10g (slightly less than 3/8 oz.) casting plug was 'flying' 35-40 yards and 19g (slightly over 5/8 oz.) plug was 60-70 yards, both with moderate casting effort at my 'casting park' with distances and targets marked. Retrieve was super smooth, equal to my new Zillions.

This new Alphas has definitely replaced my supertuned PX68 in tournament rotation. No comparison to the 'original' Alphas 103, ito 103 AI or R-edition 103, all of which I own. Superior in every way, in my opinion.

And I expect even better performance after my disassembly, cleaning, polishing, tuning and regreasing/oiling cycle.

Doc
Perhaps the opposing viewpoints would be less harsh if this reel didnt bear the Alphas name. I really like my SV TW. Does everything I expect and performs above its price so far. The unique 32mm spool bummed me out. I was hoping it was the same size as the T3 AIR, SS AIR and all that but...Daiwa did a Shimano and had to change the size. It does cast great so, maybe for the best.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:59 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:30 pm
The unique 32mm spool bummed me out.
This is what has kept me from picking up any of the newer Daiwa reels, I have so many 34/33/Pixy spools that it's hard to go outside those ecosystems.