Daiwa Recaptures "It" with this Limited Edition Steez

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 am

Introduction: Style with ease: Daiwa's celebrates the 15th anniversary of its flagship low profile baitcaster, the Steez, this year with a bright, shiny new model (literally), that we previewed back on Christmas day, 2020. Kind of fitting considering each time I have the opportunity to handle a high end reel, it feels like a gift to myself. Now I could be mistaken, but it feels to me as if Steez has never really received the acclaim it deserved since the JDM model won our Ultimate Enthusiast Award ahead of the USDM model's debut back in 2006. Apparently, that Type R+ rotor was too difficult to tame as Daiwa quickly offered variants with less dynamic casting abilities. Additionally, similar to a new and updated version of a popular swimbait, the Steez could never emerge from the shadow of its OG predecessor, the TDZ.

I found this last bit ironic because the Steez and TDZs' internals are virtually the same. Even the spools are interchangeable. So maybe it was just the shape of this reel. Nevertheless, as Daiwa offered variants to tame the performance of the original 103, and other reels debuted for me to test and write up, I lost touch with Steez. In 2017, I reconnected briefly through the Steez A TW1016, a reel that I really enjoyed, but for me, it lacked that true enthusiast appeal. I've always felt an aluminum Steez was simply a Zillion.

I also fished the Daiwa SS SV in there somewhere but passed on other Steez platform variants like the CT choosing instead to stick with my original 103H. With the simultaneous debut of the new Zillion, Alphas, and Steez Limited, I got caught up in the fanfare and ordered all three reels not realizing the Steez Limited isn't really new, just a stylized variant of the Steez SV TW with the new, SV Boost braking system and perhaps some hyper-improvements. At first glance, a lot of those improvements just seemed like pre-existing technologies repackaged for marketing convenience. Nevertheless, that bright new finish caught my attention, so let's take a closer look at this limited edition 15th Anniversary Steez.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwast ... w1000.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"