Obsolete Before Its Time? Shimano Japan's SLX BFS

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:17 am

Introduction: If there's one technique or classification there of in bass fishing that does not receive the attention and respect it deserves, it's finesse fishing. As if a rebuttal to the need to resort to such tactics, even our own finesse focused year was a play the expletive inferring acronym, "WTF" (What the Finesse). While a great majority of bass fishermen participate in the various techniques that make up the overall classification, for whatever reason, few are willing to admit to it. It's as if using light line and tiny lures isn't as masculine or cause for as much bravado as yanking a defenseless fish out from beneath a thicket of vegetation or fooling one with a life size replica of a baitfish species.

Perhaps it's the skill and uncertainty involved. After all, you can't skate a four pound bass over the surface of the water on six pound test line. It takes patience and a properly set drag to finesse a fish to the boat on light line. Yet when fishing pressure is high and more aggressive techniques are coming up empty, finesse is often the difference between a successful day fishing and a more disappointing outcome of simply wetting your line.

I get it. I fall into the same trap. Given a choice, I'd much rather catch a fish - no matter the size - on an eight inch bait than eight pound test fishing line. Part of the deal for me though is efficiency. If I go all casting gear, I can fit one or two more combos on the back of the boat than I can if I bring even just one spinning combo. As much as I adore my Exist, Stella, and MGXtreme reels, spinning combos can be awkward and difficult to manage. But there is an alternative. Dedicated finesse anglers know about it. It's not even new. No, over in Japan, they've been leveraging this approach to finesse fishing for at least two decades now, probably longer. We've written about a lot of the gear, but up until recently most of it has been somewhat cost prohibitive.

I am, of course, referring to that acronym "BFS." No, those initials don't stand for the latest superstar pop band out of Korea, but they do represent a specific approach to finesse fishing that has seen a slow and steady ascent into relevancy. Bait Finesse is the movement and this year Shimano is lowering the barrier into entry with the introduction of their USDM Curado BFS. Unfortunately, that news somewhat dampens the relevancy of the subject of today's review. Nonetheless, for those seeking a lower barrier to entry to the BFS experience via the JDM lane, Shimano's SLX BFS might just be the ticket. Let's take a look.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoslxbfs.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"