Now This Stick Is Legit : The Wild Side WSC72H+

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Introduction: In the JDM spectrum of bass rods, there exists one spec that is seemingly as dominant over there as the "medium heavy" is here. I call it the JDM wonder-spec. It is that stick measuring seven foot (plus or minus a few inches) that's able to handle two to three ounces or more in lure weight. Evergreen International, Megabass, Gan Craft all have contenders in this spec, and from what I can tell, all are wildly popular. Here in the States, to have a chance at being properly appreciated, a similarly rated stick from one of our established rod manufacturers needs to be at least seven foot, four inches (7'-4") in length, but preferably somewhere in the seven foot, eight inch (7'-8") range or more. US anglers, just prefer longer fishing rods.

I used to be in this camp, but past experience with rods like Evergreen's Super Stallion, Megabass's X4 Destruction, and more recently Evergreen's Black Rose and Gan Craft's Dead Sword turned my thinking around. The convenience of having a shorter stick that can handle long rod duties is increasingly appealing. Today, we look at a stick from yet another Japanese manufacturer that does not actually come with that specification, but to my surprise, slides right in comfortably. Here's Legit Design's Wild Side WSC72H+.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlegitdeswsc72hplus.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Now This Stick Is Legit : The Wild Side WSC72H+

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:03 am

Good Morning,

What a great read this morning. I always amazed at how you guys write so detailed on every piece of gear you test.
I had considered this stick as my first LD purchase but opted instead for the 6'10" which I like very much.
As you mentioned the backbone on these rods is the real deal. While I dont have the stick you reviewed reading that
it will make a good swim bait stick is something to consider because that would mean that it would be a ultra good
swim jig rod?

I used to be opposed to the two piece design sticks and thats because all I knew them to be were the ones from my childhood that
separated in the middle of the rod which i didn't like. But after taking a leap in getting one that the rod separates at the handle and never having an issue I am much more confortable with such rods.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:03 am
While I dont have the stick you reviewed reading that
it will make a good swim bait stick is something to consider because that would mean that it would be a ultra good
swim jig rod?
Not sure about "ultra-good" but the WSC72H+ but I can't think of a reason why the WSC72H+ couldn't perform well as a swim jig rod. Just depends on the total weight of your bait setup.
Cal, Managing Editor

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:04 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:03 am
While I dont have the stick you reviewed reading that
swim jig rod?
Not sure about "ultra-good" but the WSC72H+ but I can't think of a reason why the WSC72H+ couldn't perform well as a swim jig rod. Just depends on the total weight of your bait setup.
I understand completely what your saying.
Based off the description I was thinking 3/8 swim jig plus trailer and whatever that comes to weigh. I am not the best swim jig guy but from my experience on the St. John’s and fishing pads with a swim jig
3/8 has been my most productive but when you get bit he’s going straight down to the heart of the pads. If you don’t have the muscle stick you can forget about it.

I
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:04 am
I was thinking 3/8 swim jig plus trailer and whatever that comes to weigh. I am not the best swim jig guy but from my experience on the St. John’s and fishing pads with a swim jig
3/8 has been my most productive but when you get bit he’s going straight down to the heart of the pads. If you don’t have the muscle stick you can forget about it.
That'll probably put you around 5/8 - 3/4oz in total lure weight... It's been a few weeks since I used that rod, but I'm pretty sure that's within the wheelhouse.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:22 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Introduction: In the JDM spectrum of bass rods, there exists one spec that is seemingly as dominant over there as the "medium heavy" is here. I call it the JDM wonder-spec. It is that stick measuring seven foot (plus or minus a few inches) that's able to handle two to three ounces or more in lure weight. Evergreen International, Megabass, Gan Craft all have contenders in this spec, and from what I can tell, all are wildly popular. Here in the States, to have a chance at being properly appreciated, a similarly rated stick from one of our established rod manufacturers needs to be at least seven foot, four inches (7'-4") in length, but preferably somewhere in the seven foot, eight inch (7'-8") range or more. US anglers, just prefer longer fishing rods.

I used to be in this camp, but past experience with rods like Evergreen's Super Stallion, Megabass's X4 Destruction, and more recently Evergreen's Black Rose and Gan Craft's Dead Sword turned my thinking around. The convenience of having a shorter stick that can handle long rod duties is increasingly appealing. Today, we look at a stick from yet another Japanese manufacturer that does not actually come with that specification, but to my surprise, slides right in comfortably. Here's Legit Design's Wild Side WSC72H+.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlegitdeswsc72hplus.html
Cal, what is the realistic upper limit of this rod? I'm looking to maybe get a short dedicated big bait kayak stick in the future for target casting glide baits up to 4oz. I use a 72H Huyga now that is rated 1/2 to 4 oz but taps out at 2.7 oz before it gets overloaded and suffers from poor accuracy.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:13 am

The answer to your question is in the article...

"On the other end of that lure range, SeventyTwo-Plus's blank can realistically handle baits up to six ounces (6oz), but because its handle is so short at only eleven inches (11"), casting a 6oz bait is not a very sustainable. You just can't get sufficient leverage with a bait that heavy, and everything feels awkward. A full day casting something up to four ounces (4oz) is much more realistic."
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:06 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:13 am
The answer to your question is in the article...

"On the other end of that lure range, SeventyTwo-Plus's blank can realistically handle baits up to six ounces (6oz), but because its handle is so short at only eleven inches (11"), casting a 6oz bait is not a very sustainable. You just can't get sufficient leverage with a bait that heavy, and everything feels awkward. A full day casting something up to four ounces (4oz) is much more realistic."
Is that inferred from the rod wack or were those weights thrown in testing?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am

Seriously... if it was inferred from lab tests, I would say so.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am
Seriously... if it was inferred from lab tests, I would say so.
That's what I wanted to confirm. Thanks Cal.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:10 am

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...???

Anyone else aside Cal have some time with this stick? I have a Wild Side 6'10" Med and I really am impressed with and enjoy this model for so many techs as an all-purpose med+/mod-fast+ river rod.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:08 pm

I just bought one at full TW retail which I never do. I couldn't find it anywhere else especially Japan. I used the TT link to give them some ad revenue too. They only had 3 left and no where else had them. FOMO set in and full retail it was ](*,)

I also have a purple lexa 300 I paid Tatula 300 money for that I will put on it. I bought it for the purple parts but its not the normal shade of Daiwa purple so I'm stuck with it or sell it as a massive loss. Might as well put it to work. Seems to be significantly more sturdy than a Tatula 200 at least.

Plan is for this rod and reel to slot in above my Hyuga 72H that taps out at 2.7 oz. Something to throw bjg baits out of the Kayak that the Hyuga can't handle at 3+ oz. My Super Destruction is what I normally use as a step up over the Hyuga but its a little long to wield at the shoreline seated in a kayak plus its too high end to be in the kayak anyways.
Last edited by LowRange on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:08 pm
I just bought one at full TW retail which I never do. I couldn't find it anywhere else especially Japan. I used the TT link to give them some ad revenue too. They only had 3 left and no where else had them. FOMO set in and full retail it was ](*,)

I also have a purple lexa 300 I paid Tatula 300 money for that I will put on it. I bought it for the purple parts but its not the normal shade of diawa purple so I'm stuck with it or sell it as a massive loss. Might as well put it to work. Seems to be significantly more sturdy than a Tatula 200 at least.

Plan is for this rod and reel to slot in above my Hyuga 72H that taps out at 2.7 oz. Something to throw bjg baits out of the Kayak that the Hyuga can't handle at 3+ oz. My Super Destruction is what I normally use as a step up over the Hyuga but its a little long to wield at the shoreline seated in a kayak plus its too high end to be in the kayak anyways.
Koolio! Please keep us posted after you get some time on the water with it.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:46 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:08 pm

I also have a purple lexa 300 I paid Tatula 300 money for that I will put on it. I bought it for the purple parts but its not the normal shade of diawa purple so I'm stuck with it or sell it as a massive loss. Might as well put it to work. Seems to be significantly more sturdy than a Tatula 200 at least.

Koolio! Please keep us posted after you get some time on the water with it.
Will do.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Got the stick in. Took a few picks next to the Hyuga 72H.