Checking In With The New IMX, the 892C JWR

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:04 am

Introduction: With all the fanfare G.Loomis is generating at the high end with NRX+ and Conquest, and "lower end" with their new GCX lineup, I feel as though the stalwarts in the middle of their catalog, the two brands that actually built the G.Loomis name and reputation, may not be getting their fair share of attention. At the same time, while GLX doesn't feel like it's in danger of going anywhere, IMX was been re-branded to IMX-Pro with a focus on more technique specific applications. Indeed, a quick search on TackleWarehouse for "IMX" reveals seven different category results. I decided to get re-acquainted with IMX this season by acquiring a stick with which to pair my new Aldebaran BFS. Here's a closer look at G.Loomis's IMX-Pro 892C JWR.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewgloomisjwrimxpro.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Checking In With The New IMX, the 892C JWR

Post by John2204 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:50 am

Great review, I have been eyeing this rod for a while, a longer 2 power rod, most of them are 6-10 to 7 ft, I plan on getting one, will pair it up with a Metanium with 10 lb power pro with a FC leader, or just straight 12 lb flourocarbon. Cal- would you rate this rod as a true medium, or is it more of a medium light?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:18 am

Based on the deflection chart in the article it's lighter than the average Medium rod. RoD 2.52, while the average M rod has an RoD of 2.19). The last ML review I remember (but there might be others) was the Kistler Helium ML rod, which has an RoD of 2.59. (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistler ... mlpg2.html) I'd think the IMX skews ML, but Cal will correct me if I'm wrong :D

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:46 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:18 am
Based on the deflection chart in the article it's lighter than the average Medium rod. RoD 2.52, while the average M rod has an RoD of 2.19). The last ML review I remember (but there might be others) was the Kistler Helium ML rod, which has an RoD of 2.59. (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistler ... mlpg2.html) I'd think the IMX skews ML, but Cal will correct me if I'm wrong :D
So you're the one paying attention to the charts :lol: ... I've been finding length comes into consideration sometimes on the deflection stats - especially on lighter powered rods. It is an imperfect method, but yes, I'd agree the 892C JWR skews more on the side of medium light - especially if you're comparing it to an MBR842C ... the lure ratings alone tell you that.
Cal, Managing Editor

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm

I found it interesting that this rod lost some points for having standard Fuji reel seats. ie 7/10. I actually think the opposite, it gains points for me because i don't want a 'custom' reel seat like on the GLX etc. if you look on tacklewarehouse, a lot of people hate the custom seats (they say trigger is too far forward). Also, after all the NRX seats were breaking, i just can't help but be worried if a rod doesnt have a standard fuji reel seat these days :)

I hoping to pick up the IMX Pro MBR903C soon. as soon as tax return comes in :)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:45 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
I found it interesting that this rod lost some points for having standard Fuji reel seats. ie 7/10.
That score is not attributed to the reel seat... "7" is good.. the IMX-Pro doesn't have anything special features and component wise, so there's nothing to justify "great"
Cal, Managing Editor

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:44 am

ya i guess thats kind of my point though: the special features often make the rods worse not better.

look at the reviews on the GLX for example:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G_Loomi ... er_reviews

the custom reel seat hurts peoples hands. I think they may use the same on the NRX adn NRX+?

The fuji ECS reel seat is a welcome addition to the IMX.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Mon May 01, 2023 6:02 am

I just got one of these rods, love it, I put a 16 Aldebaran BFS reel with 10 lb braid to a !0 lb tastsu leader, really nice set up even though its a little heavier action than most BFS rods. Im waiting on the new Conquest BFS reels to come out, should be a perfect match for this rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 01, 2023 7:33 am

Hulkster wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:44 am
ya i guess thats kind of my point though: the special features often make the rods worse not better.

look at the reviews on the GLX for example:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G_Loomi ... er_reviews

the custom reel seat hurts peoples hands. I think they may use the same on the NRX adn NRX+?

The fuji ECS reel seat is a welcome addition to the IMX.
Don't remember seeing this... anyway, I don't score or evaluate based on other people's experiences.. only mine ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon May 01, 2023 7:34 am

John2204 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:02 am
I just got one of these rods, love it, I put a 16 Aldebaran BFS reel with 10 lb braid to a !0 lb tastsu leader, really nice set up even though its a little heavier action than most BFS rods. Im waiting on the new Conquest BFS reels to come out, should be a perfect match for this rod.
Honestly.. I'd get the latest Aldebaran BFS, to match with the rod, but the Conquest will be nice too 👌
Cal, Managing Editor

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:10 pm

I think the heavier Conquest will balance a little better than a lighter reel, but we will see, thanks again for the great review on the rod, probably wouldn’t of bought it without reading your article.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 02, 2023 1:34 pm

Remember... you don't balance an object by placing weight on the pivot point ;)

i.e. i don't buy into the theory of using relying on the weight of a reel to balance out a combo.
Cal, Managing Editor