The Highest Example – The Edge Epitome Rods from Gary Loomis

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The Highest Example – The Edge Epitome Rods from Gary Loomis

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm

Got to do some finesse jigging on this rod today in 15-35 feet of water. Caught a nice 4 pounder, too - barely inhaled the jig, barely hooked, but I was able to detect the bite well and land the fish. The blank loads up well, and feels about as sensitive as a lot of other high-end offerings; it doesn’t set my world on fire, but it also didn’t make me want an NRX or P5 etc. instead. I haven’t done any direct comparisons, so it’s a gut feeling.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:14 pm

Went to the fishery and spot where I used to fish my Kistler 7'3" LMH a ton before (the X-ray blank version with the same ratings as the Epitome blank). I'm sold on this rod. It's not an upgrade in sensitivity, but it's not a downgrade, either (and it's lighter). Did some finesse ballhead jigging and threw a 3/4oz Dark Sleeper in deep water. It's so rocky there that you're constantly bumping into stuff, and from memory this rod felt like it was giving as much feedback as I'm used to from the X-ray Kistler rod. Maybe not quite as raw in the vibrations, but as noticeable.

I falsely set the hook on a bunch of rocks (as you want to with a good high-end rod, at least while you get used to it). Caught a smallish (and very cold) LMB while dragging the Dark Sleeper up a steep drop, and the tock was noticeable and distinct from the rock-scraping.

I want to take my Poison Ultima 6'10" M next and fish the rods side by side. (The PU has the same lure rating, even though Edge & Shimano use MH/M ratings for their respective rods.) I'm still not convinced that the Epitome is The Most Sensitive Rod Ever, and feel that it might lose out to other rods in direct comparison. But even if that happens I know I'll keep fishing it.

Would like to see a 6'10" Epitome dropshot blank next. That might be special.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:31 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:14 pm
Went to the fishery and spot where I used to fish my Kistler 7'3" LMH a ton before (the X-ray blank version with the same ratings as the Epitome blank). I'm sold on this rod. It's not an upgrade in sensitivity, but it's not a downgrade, either (and it's lighter). Did some finesse ballhead jigging and threw a 3/4oz Dark Sleeper in deep water. It's so rocky there that you're constantly bumping into stuff, and from memory this rod felt like it was giving as much feedback as I'm used to from the X-ray Kistler rod. Maybe not quite as raw in the vibrations, but as noticeable.

I falsely set the hook on a bunch of rocks (as you want to with a good high-end rod, at least while you get used to it). Caught a smallish (and very cold) LMB while dragging the Dark Sleeper up a steep drop, and the tock was noticeable and distinct from the rock-scraping.

I want to take my Poison Ultima 6'10" M next and fish the rods side by side. (The PU has the same lure rating, even though Edge & Shimano use MH/M ratings for their respective rods.) I'm still not convinced that the Epitome is The Most Sensitive Rod Ever, and feel that it might lose out to other rods in direct comparison. But even if that happens I know I'll keep fishing it.

Would like to see a 6'10" Epitome dropshot blank next. That might be special.
Hey drakestar thx for the review. I was wondering, is your Ultima the'22 version?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:31 pm
Hey drakestar thx for the review. I was wondering, is your Ultima the'22 version?
Yes. I don't have the `16.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:27 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:07 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:31 pm
Yes. I don't have the `16.
Ty sir! Really looking forward to the comparison

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:07 pm

Pairing this with an Aldebaran has to feel like almost toylike.

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:18 pm

Update on my October 27th order for others still waiting:

Got in contact with Maria, the rod manager at Edge rods. I was informed that there are 16 builds ahead of mine. Was also informed that they are currently out of guides for the epitome, but that they expect a restock and to continue building in ~2 weeks.

Sounds like they still have a lot of orders to fulfill.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:55 pm

I did some side-by-side comparison between the Epitome and Poison Ultima 6’10” M (same ratings) today. Fished Dark Sleepers in deep clear water around a lot of rocks. Honestly, I couldn’t tell much of a difference; every time I thought that one rod had better, “scrapier” feedback, the other made up for it on the next cast. If you put a gun to my head I’d probably give the nod to the PU, but that might be because it feels faster and stiffer than the Epitome. I wouldn’t want to give up either rod, either. The Epitome feels more universal, the PU felt more high-end.

The scratchiness of the butt carbon weave seems to have filed off. It doesn’t catch on clothes anymore.

Paired with an ABU MGXtreme2, the rod feels really light. I noticed it compared to the Poison Ultima (which has a Steez CT on it and is hardly a heavy combo).

So far, the Epitome has easily filled the slot occupied by my previous Zbone. I’ve fished traps on it, smaller jigs, Dark Sleepers, and done some cranking with a flatside. I’m sure it’ll make a good topwater rod once it warms up.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 pm

The carbon grips, lack of winding checks and that epoxy work on the reel seat are vile. Just sell blanks Gary. Step away from the rod blanks and close the mud hole tab.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:23 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 pm
The carbon grips, lack of winding checks and that epoxy work on the reel seat are vile. Just sell blanks Gary. Step away from the rod blanks and close the mud hole tab.
I mean you arent wrong and I am seriously starting to feel the same way

Thats a bold statement to make as well:

They need to take lessons from Trika on how to run a company

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed May 03, 2023 11:28 am

Anyone else get theirs and fish it?