bish0p
Angler
Angler

Re: The Highest Example – The Edge Epitome Rods from Gary Loomis

Post by bish0p » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 pm

X-Ray Carbon Air blank
https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subscrip ... &r=Sjpttcy

https://northforkcomposites.com/product ... -ray-c6o2/

The travel blanks are also interesting. What's a reverse ferrule?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Now I'm really confused!

The text promoting these blanks says they sent TackleTour a rod built on one, and it links to Zander's review. That review said the finished rods will retail for $295. But the NFC web page offering the blanks for sale says the unfinished blanks will have a normal retail price of $325. What did I misunderstand?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:10 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm
But the NFC web page offering the blanks for sale says the unfinished blanks will have a normal retail price of $325. What did I misunderstand?
NFC rarely sells their blanks at the "Normal Retail Price" - they are always having a sale in some shape or form.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:28 pm

I've noticed that, but NFC says this: "THE PRICE ($150) WILL BE THE LOWEST PRICE THAT THIS BLANK WILL EVER BE AVAILABLE AT. DUE TO FIBER ALLOCATION/SUPPLY AFTER THE INITIAL PRE-ORDER, THEY WILL NEVER BE ON SALE."

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 pm

I guess we shall find out :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:03 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm
Now I'm really confused!

The text promoting these blanks says they sent TackleTour a rod built on one, and it links to Zander's review. That review said the finished rods will retail for $295. But the NFC web page offering the blanks for sale says the unfinished blanks will have a normal retail price of $325. What did I misunderstand?
I just ordered one of the pre-sale rods, and in the description it states 200 have been put up for pre-order at $295. Sounds like after those initial 200 have been ordered, subsequent releases will cost more. Which would line up with the icast list of new releases showing them having an msrp of $495.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:06 pm

This is the statement on the Epitome page
"The fiber for these rods is received via allocation currently, so we are making 200 available for pre-order at $295. All pre-order rods will receive a signed certificate from Gary Loomis, please allow up to 8 weeks for delivery. We will make this offer available to everyone on Friday August 5th, and the rods will show "Out of Stock" if the 200 rod mark is met."
Also, my order said 3-5 weeks for delivery, so hoping that stays true.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:28 am

the last time I heard about Edge rods were people freaking out over on bassresource about ordering their rods and them taking 4 to 6 months to get made and shipped out.

I hope this has been rectified as Gary has always been the man when it comes to making rods!!

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:05 am

I ordered one. First rod I've bought that wasn't from TackleTrap in a long time... I almost feel dirty

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 am

I ordered one, too. I love my Kistler 733 LMH with the X-ray blank for t-rigs and Dark Sleepers (good topwater rod, too), this looks like an upgrade to that exact rod.

I accidentally selected a rod insurance option I didn’t want and asked for a refund just for that insurance, which the Edge representative (who also seems to be the receptionist?) said would be possible. So far no refund on my card after three days, I hope that won’t turn into an issue. The main horror stories I’d heard about Edge Rods were related to customer service; not because the company doesn’t care, but because they don’t have an actual department and people are doing double duty.

Edit: Money has now been refunded.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Edge Epitome

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:34 am

Anybody get in on the initial 200 rod limited production run that's going on right now? Not sure if this is going to be similar to the first strike debacle a few years back but definitely intrigued since they're able to break the 3oz barrier, all while touting the latest and greatest in sensitivity n tech.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Edge Epitome

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58 am

I am tempted myself at 295, I have to give them credit they seem to have improved greatly after COVID. I have had 4 edge rods, 2 have broken, one my fault, one that was not, my issue has been the supposed titanium guides may have a titanium coating but they definitely rust and both of my edge inshore rods have had guides rust under the thread. I have pretty good luck in freshwater. I will say the customer service was jam up this year when I had a NFC blank out of warranty that they warrantied anyway and had it to me in a week. I'm probably not the best to ask anyway :mrgreen:

I had 3 x-ray blanks built at end of 2021 and broke them all by March of 22, but a 70qt pelican loaded down is a bit beyond what a graphite rod is meant to handle.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 am

Thanks for that feedback.

That $295 blows my mind. With inflation being where it is, what are they able to do to keep costs low? Or, were margins so high before that they're willing to take a hit on it now, only to raise prices later when people realize that this series is a unicorn. Who knows haha.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:51 pm

Thx for combining this post. Not sure why I didn't do a search prior to posting lol

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 am
Thanks for that feedback.

That $295 blows my mind. With inflation being where it is, what are they able to do to keep costs low? Or, were margins so high before that they're willing to take a hit on it now, only to raise prices later when people realize that this series is a unicorn. Who knows haha.
From what I’m understanding from those posting above, the 3 bill deal is limited to this initial 200 copies of this model. Once these are gone, so is the promotional price.