Testing a Phenix Blank - A Simple Build, Potential for Lore, Phenix's Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Testing a Phenix Blank - A Simple Build, Potential for Lore, Phenix's Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:11 pm

Introduction: Stay immersed in this hobby/past time/sport (however you choose to term it) long enough and you begin to tinker. Some do so by upgrading bearings, handles or swapping other parts on their reels, others enjoy modifying their baits or even making their own, and many enter the world of rod building. I've been at this long enough to have tried all of the above with the latter option being the one I find most fulfilling. A confluence of events including the pandemic but extending into global supply chain issues and rising costs have all conspired to find me passing time building new and modifying existing rods. I am far from an expert, nor do I follow any steadfast rules. I just like to tinker, but will occasionally share my creations with close friends who do not mind my imprecise and often eccentric ways.

This past winter, searching for a build project, I was on the hunt for swimbait blanks under eight feet in length to better suit the restrictions of my boat locker (limit ~7'-9"). During this search, I found a blank with a curious power to weight ratio. It was rated from two to eight ounces (2-8oz) in lure weight and had a specified weight of only 3.7 ounces. In my very brief exposure to available blanks, I was under the impression blanks of this lure rating were more in the four and a half ounce (4.5oz) range. Intrigued, I ordered it as fun little build project, and in the process, discovered something truly intriguing. Here's my journey with Phenix Rod's Ultra Swimbait 790H Blank.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixsb790hbuild.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Testing a Phenix Blank - A Simple Build, Potential for Lore, Phenix's Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:05 pm

Good read Cal, thanks for putting in the time and effort.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Testing a Phenix Blank - A Simple Build, Potential for Lore, Phenix's Ultra Swimbait B-USB-C 790H

Post by Cal » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:15 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Thank you... planning on maybe a couple more. We'll see :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 pm

Cal wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:15 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Thank you... planning on maybe a couple more. We'll see :)
So much can be done with changing the handle lengths and even trigger/triggerless designs, to change the feel of the rod. I've actually been thinking that a "trigger forward design" might be feasible with how some of these newer reels have a longer profile and that many people palm the entire reel with a couple/few fingers in front of the traditional trigger seat.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:10 pm

Took Mine out today and its so confidence inspiring. I did not build it, I had it built by Otterods
I actually got two hits and let me tell you the first one scared the snot out of my lure. I read your review several times and i am glad I did. I initially thought that this was only a soft plastic blank but its so much much much more. It really made life better for me and I was able to get great distance. The retrieves were just great and I had hits on both soft plastics baits and hard baits. Thanks Cal for your guidance and Otterods for another terrific and exquisite build. .
Attachments
160.jpeg
160.jpeg (149.28 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
161.jpeg
161.jpeg (82 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
162.jpeg
162.jpeg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
162b.jpeg
162b.jpeg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible