TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Measure of Consistency, Kistler's New KLX

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:52 pm

A Measure of Consistency, Kistler's New KLX

Introduction:
Last year, Kistler Custom Rods refreshed their Helium series of rods with a new blank the company is having made overseas. I found that new KC9 blank crisp, lively, and powerful. Since that introduction, the company has been busy refreshing their entire family of rods with new blanks. Where the KC9 blank is featured in Helium and ZBone, the company's top two series, the third in their pecking order, KLX, features a different blank, KC8. I reached out to Trey Kistler to learn more about this second tier blank and instead of describing it to me, he sent one of his newly revamped KLX rods in for us to experience for ourselves. Introducing Kistler Custom Rods's KLX764MH.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlerklx764.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A Measure of Consistency, Kistler's New KLX

Post by Drakestar » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 pm

My main hangup with the LMH KC9 blank is that it has no tip - the rod feels like somebody cut off the top few inches. Looking at the deflection chart for this rod, it looks like the KC8 blank on this rod has a rather soft tip that even trends towards Medium. Quite the opposite from my KC9 experience. Interesting…

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:15 am

I don't recall getting that feeling but the LC9 I fished was a medium light power so soft overall.

With regards to the chart on the KLX, keep in mind, if the tip is soft, there will be more deflection, so the curve will start out high, not low. I think the KLX's chart demonstrates what you were experiencing with your KC9 blank. ... Something I did not notice or feel while fishing this stick either.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:39 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:15 am
I don't recall getting that feeling but the LC9 I fished was a medium light power so soft overall.

With regards to the chart on the KLX, keep in mind, if the tip is soft, there will be more deflection, so the curve will start out high, not low. I think the KLX's chart demonstrates what you were experiencing with your KC9 blank. ... Something I did not notice or feel while fishing this stick either.
Oh, I misunderstood the chart then. I was looking at how the rod was tending towards Medium at the highest loads. But yeah, it makes sense that the small weights would only engage the tip section, and it's obvious that it doesn't bend as much as comparable rods. That IS in line with my experience with the KC9 blank (I got a Helium 7" LMH), and it started driving me kinda crazy. I was getting good sensitivity (dragging Dark Sleepers and jigs across rocks), but the rod just felt stiff.

I was mostly comparing it to the X-ray Zbone (which that blank replaced), which (while also feeling rather moderate in taper to me) has a more traditional curve in the review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlerzb3lmh73pg2.html