Time for Another Build or Two: Point Blank Rods's PB731HXF

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:12 am

Introduction: Over the course of my nearly twenty years with TackleTour, to say fishing rods are of a particular interest of mine would be similar to pitching your jig into a coffee cup from thirty feet away. They fascinate me. The number of ways in which they can be assembled, and the different materials used to build the blanks represent a world of intrigue and mystery that never ceases to intrigue. The very core of a fishing rod, it's soul - that blank, is where it all begins yet it is often shrouded in a build that makes the task of extracting its character difficult. A bare blank is different. Holding a bare blank in hand and imagining the different possibilities has grown into one of my new favorite hobbies.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpointbl ... blank.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Time for Another Build or Two: Point Blank Rods's PB731HXF

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:46 pm

I’ve built that exact same blank recently.
Mine came in heavier than stated, can’t finde my note of proof but I believe it was 2.5oz. Total rod weight 4.47oz also caused by the reel seat and aluminum locknut trim thing.
Balancing torque 0.19 ftlbs at a 10.5 inch handle length (butt to reel seat) and size 5 stainless alconite guides. And the blank being heavier, I guess.
Feeling wise, it couldn’t live up to my high expectations. I rave about the 6’9 and 7’ models because of how light and crisp they are - I love them all - they handle like equally powered NRX+ models. This one though feels just as heavy as my 7’2H Zodias (@ same handle length). A 7’2H Expride next to it feels significantly lighter and more agile. While the Shimanos also fishing more powerful because of waaaay stiffer tips.
With it came the 731MLF. Couldn’t decide what to do with it, it’s closer to the 701MF than the 701MLF in power and it also doesn’t handle as light and rave-worthy. Seems like with length, there comes mass.
Oh and my observations don't stop: My second 701MLF is noticeably lighter in power than my first one bought in 2019. Variation between batches or variation within a batch? Wouldn’t know but rather the first. Even if built identically, it wouldn’t feel like the same rod. Not too hyped about that either. Still, the 6'9s and 7's stay my most picked up rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:46 pm
Mine came in heavier than stated, can’t finde my note of proof but I believe it was 2.5oz. Total rod weight 4.47oz also caused by the reel seat and aluminum locknut trim thing.
Balancing torque 0.19 ftlbs at a 10.5 inch handle length (butt to reel seat) and size 5 stainless alconite guides. And the blank being heavier, I guess.
Feeling wise, it couldn’t live up to my high expectations. I rave about the 6’9 and 7’ models because of how light and crisp they are - I love them all - they handle like equally powered NRX+ models. This one though feels just as heavy as my 7’2H Zodias (@ same handle length). A 7’2H Expride next to it feels significantly lighter and more agile. While the Shimanos also fishing more powerful because of waaaay stiffer tips.
With it came the 731MLF. Couldn’t decide what to do with it, it’s closer to the 701MF than the 701MLF in power and it also doesn’t handle as light and rave-worthy. Seems like with length, there comes mass.
Oh and my observations don't stop: My second 701MLF is noticeably lighter in power than my first one bought in 2019. Variation between batches or variation within a batch? Wouldn’t know but rather the first. Even if built identically, it wouldn’t feel like the same rod. Not too hyped about that either. Still, the 6'9s and 7's stay my most picked up rods.

Wow thats the 1st home built rod with carbon grips that looks great I have seen. Most look like black yarn. That looks great. What grips are those?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:46 pm

I don't know about the heavier blanks, but the mediums and medium lights I own are superb.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:50 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 pm
dennis_rf wrote:

Wow thats the 1st home built rod with carbon grips that looks great I have seen. Most look like black yarn. That looks great. What grips are those?
That’s the CFX DIY kit. The main difference from everyone else is I add another layer of epoxy on top on the carbon weave and then immediately use a shrink tube. Not the transparent but the black kind - this has a slightly rough surface on the inside. The result is a sealed but still textured and matte finish. With a smooth clear shrink tube, it would be a glossy finish I don’t like. Without the extra layer, it wouldn’t be sealed but open weave with a little more compressed look.
Also I go down to the actual blank diameter when shaping the grips so they sit flush and don’t require winding checks
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:46 pm
I don't know about the heavier blanks, but the mediums and medium lights I own are superb.
691ML-M-MH + 701L-ML-M-MH we’re nothing but wow in every aspect

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:42 am

Man this makes me wanna try a new build
I’ve read the article several times and the picture of the build on here looks really good too. They both did really amazing builds
I may break out my old one and see how I can improve on it
Great review and thanks for the inspiration
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:50 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:50 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:06 pm
dennis_rf wrote:

That’s the CFX DIY kit. The main difference from everyone else is I add another layer of epoxy on top on the carbon weave and then immediately use a shrink tube. Not the transparent but the black kind - this has a slightly rough surface on the inside. The result is a sealed but still textured and matte finish. With a smooth clear shrink tube, it would be a glossy finish I don’t like. Without the extra layer, it wouldn’t be sealed but open weave with a little more compressed look.
Also I go down to the actual blank diameter when shaping the grips so they sit flush and don’t require winding checks
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:46 pm
691ML-M-MH + 701L-ML-M-MH we’re nothing but wow in every aspect
Great technique to transform the appearance of those carbon grips.