How do I fix my loose spool bearing?

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How do I fix my loose spool bearing?

Post by IAY » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:14 am

Hi TT,

I just bought a used Steez 103HA in very good condition, but I noticed that it was quite noisy on retrieve. Upon further inspections, I noticed that the spool bearing on the 103 spool was having a lot of side to side movement. I would like to know if there anything I can do to fix this. Thanks in advance for the help!

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do I fix my loose spool bearing?

Post by lpquick » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:07 am

Bearings are relatively inexpensive it’s not worth your time or trouble to attempt fixing one unless that’s what you like to do of course. You have many options replacing or upgrading that bearing or the pair of spool bearings which are critical in the performance of your reel. Spend just a few dollars and replace or spend a little more for upgrades from ZPI, Hedgehog, TG Rockets and even Boca to just name a few.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:45 am

lpquick wrote:Bearings are relatively inexpensive it’s not worth your time or trouble to attempt fixing one unless that’s what you like to do of course. You have many options replacing or upgrading that bearing or the pair of spool bearings which are critical in the performance of your reel. Spend just a few dollars and replace or spend a little more for upgrades from ZPI, Hedgehog, TG Rockets and even Boca to just name a few.
I am glad to hear that it is something to do with the bearings, not the spool. I am probably going to change the spool to the RCS 1016 spool, so not sure how worth it is to do that. As always, thanks for the advice and help Lon!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:31 am

The boca O/S 7s are a good upgrade, and for a better all round reel the 1016 spool is great. For lighter baits the 103 is nice, but not forgiving.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 am

Yeah, I am going to throw mostly 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz hardbaits, so I really don't need it to handle anything light.
Last edited by IAY on Fri May 08, 2015 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun May 03, 2015 5:31 pm

imo the rcs 1016 isnt the est for anything under 3/8. 1/4 is where is where it cant keep up with my sv1000 spool and my revo ltz.

i seen a huge distance jump with a zara puppy when i put a sv spool im my t3 1016.