concept z problem

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

concept z problem

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 am

Matt,
I have eight concept Z reels.
One of them, that I just put on a frog rod, doesn't go back into gear when I turn the handle sometimes. The thumb bar seems to rise up a little and not engage, unless I hold it down hard until the end of the cast. And, even then, it sometimes doesn't re engage the spool unless I turn the spool with my thumb.
What should I do?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: concept z problem

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:55 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 am
Matt,
One of them, that I just put on a frog rod, doesn't go back into gear when I turn the handle sometimes. The thumb bar seems to rise up a little and not engage, unless I hold it down hard until the end of the cast. And, even then, it sometimes doesn't re engage the spool unless I turn the spool with my thumb.
What should I do?
Sounds like the clutch yoke springs have weakened. Try stretching those out a little. That seems to do the trick a majority of the time when I encounter this problem.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:55 pm
Sounds like the clutch yoke springs have weakened. Try stretching those out a little. That seems to do the trick a majority of the time when I encounter this problem.
Weakened because of trying to overcome friction in the clutch assembly doubtful - however over time it's a good possibility that the metal fatigues? Most problems caused in the clutch is poor lubricating /drying out between plastics and corrosion in that area creating a grit between surfaces.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 am
Matt,
What should I do?
The reel is brand new, just out of the box. If 13 Fishing doesn't help me, I'll try opening the spring a little.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 am

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Weakened because of trying to overcome friction in the clutch assembly doubtful - however over time it's a good possibility that the metal fatigues? Most problems caused in the clutch is poor lubricating /drying out between plastics and corrosion in that area creating a grit between surfaces.
The reel is brand new, just out of the box. If 13 Fishing doesn't help me, I'll try opening the spring a little.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:52 am

Typically if the thumb bar isn't going up with gusto the issue isn't the thumb bar...its the pinion gear moving up and down within the gear side bearing located in the gear side cover.

My guess is its gunked up, with debris salt crystals or dirt.

My service team would be happy to help you get it resolved if you send it in.

Matt
13 Fishing

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:54 am

I didn't see the "its brand new" comment

if that is the case I still think the issue is with that pinion gear moving inside the bearing...could have been damaged in assembly??

We will cover it under warranty for you for sure.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 am

13Fishing wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:54 am
I didn't see the "its brand new" comment

if that is the case I still think the issue is with that pinion gear moving inside the bearing...could have been damaged in assembly??

We will cover it under warranty for you for sure.

Matt
13 Fishing
Just to be clear, it only happens every fourth or fifth cast. Is it something I can clean up myself without voiding the warranty?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:27 am

Matt,
I sent my reel in, and it just came back. Fast turn around, and great service.
Corinne Quinones did a wonderful job getting it fixed and returned quickly, and kept me up to date on the progress, so I wanted to give her a good review, too.
Mark

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Corinne and Matt are great people and they take pride in there work. Top notch customer service that felt more like a friend helping you.
Corinne apologized for not shipping the part out because the mail was already picked up. The reason Corinne didn't get it out is, I asked Corinne and Matt to not ship the part until I got back to them because I wanted to check something before I said the part was bad.

It's nice to know that if I do have an issue with a 13 fishing product, it will be taken care of swiftly with professionalism. I'm not easily impressed and I only give accolades for exception support.

Corinne and Matt, thank you for the top notch support.

Tony Suprum - Lake Parsippany, NJ