Starting Out

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
SpOt TaIl MaN
Angler
Angler

Starting Out

Post by SpOt TaIl MaN » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:20 am

I have went fly fishing a few times on the Au Sable river, it was alot of un and I enjoyed casting a fly rod alot. I only caught two fish but it was alot of fun, any who, I need a new setup, I really dont want to go over 300 for the rod a reel, I need line and backing and a few of the best flies you guy's know of.

Thank's Spot

Tchocky
Angler
Angler

Re: Starting Out

Post by Tchocky » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:52 pm

Hey at Cabelas they had some real nice Cabela Fly Rods in their bargain cave for 25.00! I think they were around 7-8 feet, not exactly sure though. I was going to buy one but I dont know how to fly fish :(

SpOt TaIl MaN
Angler
Angler

Post by SpOt TaIl MaN » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:56 pm

anybody?

kimba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kimba » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Check out some of the starter kits from st. croix here. get a 8-9' 4-5wt, 2/4pcs Premier rig maybe, alt. Imperial.

I would recommend going to your local flyshop and get a set of flies for the area you plan to fish, maybe some good allround set too.

Good luck!

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 am

For rods in the $200 range try test casting the Sage Launch, TFO Professional or TFO TiCr, or some of the Echo rods.

As for reels, you might find the Okuma Integrity or Teton Tioga reels as well built and between $60 to $80.

Scientific Angler Mastery Series Headstart line has the same properties as some of SA's $60 lines but for $35. Great value there.

Of all the things, I would not skimp on the rod or the line. The reel for the most part is holding the backing and line and unless you are targeting a species that will require getting it onto the reel, you don't have to worry as much about a good drag system, etc.