Point Blank Rods BFS Build

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Point Blank Rods BFS Build

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 am

Nice build. Please tell us more on your experiences of that blanks performance.
I have seen people reduce the trigger length but never fully removed it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:28 am

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:01 pm
Cal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm
Take a rod you don’t care about, cut the trigger off, sand the edges smooth, and take it for a spin to see how it feels for you! ... Zander can’t wrap his head around my crazy wraps 😂😂😂
Hah, I know, but I am going to feel like a real chump if I end up hating it and then have to see it every summer, standing in my wife's garden, living the rest of it's sad life out as a tomato stake.
That's why you use a rod you don't care about! :)
the hooligan wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:49 am
Very nice build :big grin:
Thank you... i'm still a hack, but it gives me something to do while avoiding the world during this pandemic :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:53 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:46 am
You think this is some kind of review site or something? :lol:

Out on the water this weekend with both BFS builds... top is the X-Ray DS 6100-1 dubbed "Mutilator", bottom is the PB701LXF dubbed "Morning Dawn.". Yesterday was way too windy to get a feel for either out on the water. Today is supposed to be better wind wise.
DSC07800.jpg
DSC07800.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Cal, Managing Editor

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:20 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:53 am
goldrod wrote:
You think this is some kind of review site or something? :lol:

Out on the water this weekend with both BFS builds... top is the X-Ray DS 6100-1 dubbed "Mutilator", bottom is the PB701LXF dubbed "Morning Dawn.". Yesterday was way too windy to get a feel for either out on the water. Today is supposed to be better wind wise.

DSC07800.jpg
Very nice! Beautiful combos. Which reel is on "Mutilator" ?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:31 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:20 am
Very nice! Beautiful combos. Which reel is on "Mutilator" ?
That's a Megabass IS63L with the spool from a SLP Works aftermarket G2, purple spool.
DSC07798.jpg
DSC07798.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
Cal, Managing Editor

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 pm

goldrod wrote:
I built my UL casting rod with AT CCT Apex spinning seat. It's very comfy. That light rod doesnt need trigger imo.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:44 pm
goldrod wrote:
I built my UL casting rod with AT CCT Apex spinning seat. It's very comfy. That light rod doesnt need trigger imo.

That’s really unique
You used a spinning reel seat for bait casting purposes. I have to admit man I’m not really creative. Actually just had this conversation with my wife a couple of days ago but if nothing else I have learned to think outside of the box because of this website. You guys are phenomenal
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Same deal only cleaner! Nice job MardukFIN! =D>
goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 am
That’s really unique
You used a spinning reel seat for bait casting purposes.
What do you think are on the two builds I showed? :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 am

So in the end, both rods performed very well. The Point Blank's rear diameter lends itself much better to the approach of not using a grip. The NFC blank is thin and a little awkward to wrap your pinky around. I like MardukFin's approach above of using a carbon sleeve as a rear grip. Kind of a compromise on the thinner diameter blanks.

Sensitivity wise, both sticks give you a good feel but are different - like different frequencies. Hogsticker described it well in the NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR thread. I started this one because I didn't want to hijack the other any further.

I think for my personal use, the Point Blank resonates with me just a little better.

I tried dropshotting and ned rigging with both using the exact same weights, etc., but the bite was primarily a ned rig bite. Unfortunately, the hits with that technique are not very distinct, so there's no "tap tap" to let you know there's a bite - only weight at the end of the line as if you're caught up in the weeds. All you can do is set on that weight and if you get a pull back or your line moves, you know you have a fish. But you can certainly feel what's going on if you pop your ned rig off the bottom and the PB701LXF was more suitable for this application.

Conversely, the DS 6100-1 was better for me, as a drop shot rod. The two sticks are different in power, and i always prefer the lightest stick possible for drop shotting. I'm not sure if Point Blank offers a "0" power, but I don't think they do or else I'd have bought one.

The NRX guide train on both sticks was interesting. I'm not sure if it made that much of a difference sensitivity wise, but weight wise, it sure didn't hurt. Weights on the two builds:

Point Blank PB701LXF = 2.9 oz
NFC DS6100-1 X-Ray = 2.7 oz

I think that's about it. Fun times. On to the next project :-k :lol:

DSC07848.jpg
DSC07848.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
DSC07845.jpg
DSC07845.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Cal, Managing Editor

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 am
So in the end, both rods performed very well. The Point Blank's rear diameter lends itself much better to the approach of not using a grip. The NFC blank is thin and a little awkward to wrap your pinky around. I like MardukFin's approach above of using a carbon sleeve as a rear grip. Kind of a compromise on the thinner diameter blanks.

Sensitivity wise, both sticks give you a good feel but are different - like different frequencies. Hogsticker described it well in the NFC X-ray 6100-1 DSR thread. I started this one because I didn't want to hijack the other any further.

I think for my personal use, the Point Blank resonates with me just a little better.

I tried dropshotting and ned rigging with both using the exact same weights, etc., but the bite was primarily a ned rig bite. Unfortunately, the hits with that technique are not very distinct, so there's no "tap tap" to let you know there's a bite - only weight at the end of the line as if you're caught up in the weeds. All you can do is set on that weight and if you get a pull back or your line moves, you know you have a fish. But you can certainly feel what's going on if you pop your ned rig off the bottom and the PB701LXF was more suitable for this application.

Conversely, the DS 6100-1 was better for me, as a drop shot rod. The two sticks are different in power, and i always prefer the lightest stick possible for drop shotting. I'm not sure if Point Blank offers a "0" power, but I don't think they do or else I'd have bought one.

The NRX guide train on both sticks was interesting. I'm not sure if it made that much of a difference sensitivity wise, but weight wise, it sure didn't hurt. Weights on the two builds:

Point Blank PB701LXF = 2.9 oz
NFC DS6100-1 X-Ray = 2.7 oz

I think that's about it. Fun times. On to the next project :-k :lol:

DSC07848.jpgDSC07845.jpg

So does this mean that the NFC build will be in the for sale section?
😂
Thanks for posting!
I was going to write up on a NFC build that I had build by Mr. Davis of Otterods. When fishing against my expride jerkbait rod, something I’ve noticed was that before I got a hit on the jerkbait on the NFC build I could “feel” the fish. It’s weird and I’m not doing it any justice trying to describe it in written communication but every time I would get bit on this rod I felt the fish just before it happened.
And that’s the freakiest thing but it’s true. My question to you is although you said the bite was more of a Ned rig bite did you catch any on a dropshot?
And since the NFC blank was your preferred rod for that technique have you ever experienced anything like what I described on my NFC Otterods build?
Thanks in advance

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:15 am
MardukFIN wrote:
Same deal only cleaner! Nice job MardukFIN! =D>
goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:47 am
That’s really unique
You used a spinning reel seat for bait casting purposes.
What do you think are on the two builds I showed? :lol:
Thanks.

Actually this was a test, but it worked so well (spinning seat on casting purpose) that I definitely try same seat with MH powered magbass blank also. I usually palm whole reel in my hand, every finger front of trigger, so in example Fuji SK2 trigger doesn't feel good. Trigger is embarrassing me.

Ps. Rod in pic weights 2,29oz. Blank is S781-MHX.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm
And since the NFC blank was your preferred rod for that technique have you ever experienced anything like what I described on my NFC Otterods build?
Thanks in advance
Yes.. that's the "something feels different" deal. Happens often with higher end rods and depends on the technique and the way the fish are biting.
Cal, Managing Editor

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:47 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 am

Thanks.

Actually this was a test, but it worked so well (spinning seat on casting purpose) that I definitely try same seat with MH powered magbass blank also. I usually palm whole reel in my hand, every finger front of trigger, so in example Fuji SK2 trigger doesn't feel good. Trigger is embarrassing me.

Ps. Rod in pic weights 2,29oz. Blank is S781-MHX.
Whew that's a light build! =D>

I have swimbait and crankbait rods built with no trigger. For me, it's comfortable across the board :)
Cal, Managing Editor

nvbroncrider
Angler
Angler

Post by nvbroncrider » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 am
goldrod wrote:
Thanks in advance
Yes.. that's the "something feels different" deal. Happens often with higher end rods and depends on the technique and the way the fish are biting.
Exactly. I feel this sensation with my 901NRX and my custom rods. DS 721 Xray MB 733 Xray MB 804 spinning rod. Its a different deal for sure subtle but after you realize what it is you catch a ton of fish. For me you have to be in that sweet spot of the rod to feel these subtle differences. Too light of lure and you never feel too heavy and you don't notice it either.

I have got a PB661 MXF built that I haven't used yet but it comes in at a whopping 3.4oz and I just got my PB661 LF I'm gonna build out as a BFS rod. the rod I was intending to use for my Conquest BFS is too heavy to accomplish what I have in mind.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 am

nvbroncrider wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 am
Cal wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 am
goldrod wrote:
Thanks in advance
Exactly. I feel this sensation with my 901NRX and my custom rods. DS 721 Xray MB 733 Xray MB 804 spinning rod. Its a different deal for sure subtle but after you realize what it is you catch a ton of fish. For me you have to be in that sweet spot of the rod to feel these subtle differences. Too light of lure and you never feel too heavy and you don't notice it either.

I have got a PB661 MXF built that I haven't used yet but it comes in at a whopping 3.4oz and I just got my PB661 LF I'm gonna build out as a BFS rod. the rod I was intending to use for my Conquest BFS is too heavy to accomplish what I have in mind.
If I were you I’d sell that conquest bfs to me :D
Please start a thread with pictures of your builds I’d love to see them