American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:33 pm

I've ordered a 9" grip and carbon Aero seat for my next build. $70 from Mudhole, $25 shipping. Pleased to get a bill for another £20 from the government for importing it. Expensive business building nice looking rods outside of the US! :lol: Hope it's as nice as it looks in the photos.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Has anyone actually put any serious time on the water with these? I know they haven’t been out long, but curious to know how they are holding up. I went with Batson/Forecast on my Conquests, and very pleased with them. Still interested in these though. They do look really nice, but a member of this forum made some good points about coatings on grips and real seats, so I passed on them until I could hear more feedback and feel them in person.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Has anyone actually put any serious time on the water with these? I know they haven’t been out long, but curious to know how they are holding up. I went with Batson/Forecast on my Conquests, and very pleased with them. Still interested in these though. They do look really nice, but a member of this forum made some good points about coatings on grips and real seats, so I passed on them until I could hear more feedback and feel them in person.
I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6361
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:26 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Has anyone actually put any serious time on the water with these? I know they haven’t been out long, but curious to know how they are holding up. I went with Batson/Forecast on my Conquests, and very pleased with them. Still interested in these though. They do look really nice, but a member of this forum made some good points about coatings on grips and real seats, so I passed on them until I could hear more feedback and feel them in person.
I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.
Does one feel more tactile than the other? Do you think the AT grip will be more slippery when wet?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:26 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Has anyone actually put any serious time on the water with these? I know they haven’t been out long, but curious to know how they are holding up. I went with Batson/Forecast on my Conquests, and very pleased with them. Still interested in these though. They do look really nice, but a member of this forum made some good points about coatings on grips and real seats, so I passed on them until I could hear more feedback and feel them in person.
I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.
Does one feel more tactile than the other? Do you think the AT grip will be more slippery when wet?
The AT grip definitely feels like it will be slippery when wet. It feels like a piece of plastic dry. The NFC grip has the velvety flor grade cork feel.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6361
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:59 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:49 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:26 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Has anyone actually put any serious time on the water with these? I know they haven’t been out long, but curious to know how they are holding up. I went with Batson/Forecast on my Conquests, and very pleased with them. Still interested in these though. They do look really nice, but a member of this forum made some good points about coatings on grips and real seats, so I passed on them until I could hear more feedback and feel them in person.
I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.
Does one feel more tactile than the other? Do you think the AT grip will be more slippery when wet?
The AT grip definitely feels like it will be slippery when wet. It feels like a piece of plastic dry. The NFC grip has the velvety flor grade cork feel.
Thank you

RMCatchNrelease
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 727
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:08 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Are there coatings that may wear off?

Some of the Matagi/fuji soft touch peeled really bad for me. I'd never go coated again.

Thank you

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by JBcrankaddict » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm

I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.
Thank you, appreciate the hands on review. The sizing info is definitely important. Please let us know if you see any wear and tear in the future. Durability is the main reason I went carbon in the first place, so hopefully these hold up.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: American Tackle G2 Carbon Handles

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 am
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:19 pm

I haven't put anytime on the water, but my initial impression is that I like the soft touch NFC grips better and they're less expensive.i haven't weighed the two, but I'd suspect the NFC are lighter since the have EVA 'winding checks' versus the aluminum on the G2. The soft touch does in fact feel like flor grade cork. I hope it holds up.

On another note make sure you get the SK2 grip for NFC because it will not work with the universal one.
Thank you, appreciate the hands on review. The sizing info is definitely important. Please let us know if you see any wear and tear in the future. Durability is the main reason I went carbon in the first place, so hopefully these hold up.
I'm going to put up the NFC grip on the sales board here because I don't have a blank or reel seat for it. It says universal on their website, but it doesn't work with the SK2 seat. After looking at their site in more detail, I noticed they have one specifically for the SK2 seat. I bought Mitagi cork rear grip and butt to go with the painted Mitagi SK2 seat.

Post Reply