Looking for a quality snap.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for a quality snap.

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 pm

I ordered a bulk pack of snaps off ebay from China. Needless to say the quality is lacking. What is considered a premium brand, or what brands have you had good experiences with? I generally use a duo-lock snap, but am open to trying different styles.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a quality snap.

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:15 am

Decoy snaps are high quality and work very well...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:32 am

No more snaps!!!

Do yourself a favor and buy the Tactical Angler clips.

No reason to fumble and mess with snaps anymore. Buy the #25 and #50 and you are covered.

Change baits in 5 seconds, every time, even with frozen fingers. Anyone who's been in my boat and seen them has switched. Smaller, cleaner, streamline design has nothing to catch grass.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:19 am

I'll second the tactical anglers clips. Been using them for a few years in the marshes of South Louisiana for flounder, speckled trout and redfish with absolutely no issues.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:44 am

I’ve whittled it down to Owner Pro Parts all purpose snap in size #1 for my crankbait needs. The snaps that come with the Evergreen One’s Bug are pretty good too.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:05 am

Bombada, evergreen, decoy makes some decent snaps.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 am

Kahara and then Decoy

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

These are the best snaps I have found.

Their duel locking ability prevents the oops moments when you forget to lock it completly or it breaks open

In Canada they are Stringease Stay Loc Snaps... Mustad sells them under the same name as well.
size 1 for jerkbaits replaces the split ring
size 2 for squarebills
size 3 for 130 whopper ploppers and large spooks

cheers
Trevor

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 am

I repeat, just buy the clips to test.

You will never use another snap again.

There is zero advantage to the snap, the clips are smaller, more streamlined, and if you want a swivel, clip on a spro and you are set.

Again, snaps in the #20-50 poind size are usually difficult to deal with. Girlfriend loves the clips because they are so easy and doesn't hurt fingers or nails haha.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:16 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:09 am
I repeat, just buy the clips to test.

You will never use another snap again.

There is zero advantage to the snap, the clips are smaller, more streamlined, and if you want a swivel, clip on a spro and you are set.

Again, snaps in the #20-50 poind size are usually difficult to deal with. Girlfriend loves the clips because they are so easy and doesn't hurt fingers or nails haha.
I wonder if they have a clip that matches size to a size #0 or #1 duo lock? The ones I've seen look kinda big.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 pm

The 25 are smaller than you think. What has been written is true. More reliable because they can't open and easier to use because you don't have to open them. It's a win/win. Snaps are outdated technology. I figure only reason these aren't more popular here is because they are not JDM which means nothing. They are better than snaps. Way better.
PEACE

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:56 pm
The 25 are smaller than you think. What has been written is true. More reliable because they can't open and easier to use because you don't have to open them. It's a win/win. Snaps are outdated technology. I figure only reason these aren't more popular here is because they are not JDM which means nothing. They are better than snaps. Way better.
How well do they accommodate smaller hardbaits, such as poppers, etc, where it's difficult to hook up a small snap? Snaps aren't outdated, you will still find them in most every anglers boxes and bags. And yes, you can even purchase JDM snaps.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:07 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
I'll give them a try. This is mainly for #7, #9 floating original rapalas for trout fishing. And I am not a big JDM guy. I will buy and enjoy Japanese brands if they work for me, but in many things I prefer domestic.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
How well do they accommodate smaller hardbaits, such as poppers, etc, where it's difficult to hook up a small snap? Snaps aren't outdated, you will still find them in most every anglers boxes and bags. And yes, you can even purchase JDM snaps.
Apologies man, been a minute since I been on. Answer for poppers is well. The only difficulty I've had is with deep recessed ties where you can't slide it in place. Save for that, I'll use them on pretty much anything including cranks and jerkbaits and spinnerbaits sometimes. In this case I simply place a band of heat shrink just outside line tie to create a barrier of sorts and let it rip. Works like a charm. If I throw a spinnerbait, which is fairly rare for me, but my point here is I go to the extreme of finding a way to incorporate even on a bait that is not naturally capable of use. I make it capable. The 25 are still rather new to market and indeed quite small. Sometimes too small. But between 25, 50, 75, you can throw pretty much anything you got. Blame TT for my habits here, this place did the review. And since I had previously given up on snaps I figured nothing to lose. So I tried. Game changer. Reliable. Fast. And for those few baits I can't use them I simply don't use that bait. Easy solution. And, sorry, it remains my contention snaps are indeed outdated in comparison. Side by side it's not a fair fight. Most anglers still hold cheap mono, too. It works, but it typically does not work as well and is outdated in comparison. Snaps open and fail. These can't and don't.
PEACE

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:36 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:07 pm
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
I'll give them a try. This is mainly for #7, #9 floating original rapalas for trout fishing. And I am not a big JDM guy. I will buy and enjoy Japanese brands if they work for me, but in many things I prefer domestic.
There you go. Hey, you either dig them or you don't. Most I've turned onto them do and they should work fine for your application. Good luck.
PEACE