Calling all Megabass IP79 owners

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Calling all Megabass IP79 owners

Post by peterJDM » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:35 am

What do you mostly use this reel for besides collection? I have one on the way and I plan on using it. I've read some posts saying it is a good frog reel, but could it be a good "all around" reel? I've only ever used the Curado K, Chronarch MGL and Metanium 2020. Seeing as the IP is a little bit outdated, I was wondering if it's wasteful to try and do this. The main appeal is I've heard nothing but good stuff about the TDZ platform (besides the strong magnets inside the IP/J-Dream) and it being a "tank" reel. Seems to have a lot of market support as well, coming from a Shimano guy.

Done some research on it and most say the HLC spool is best if I'm looking for casting distance, which I will be ordering as well. With a good tune, would this reel be effective at casting most 3/8-3/4 oz. lures/baits? Primarily skirted jigs with trailer (bottom/chatter/swim), hard baits (crank/jerk) and frogs.

Also heard a lot about the Ian guy on here. If he does his magic tuning, how different would this reel be vs. out the box?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calling all Megabass IP79 owners

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 am

peterJDM wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:35 am
What do you mostly use this reel for besides collection? I have one on the way and I plan on using it. I've read some posts saying it is a good frog reel, but could it be a good "all around" reel? I've only ever used the Curado K, Chronarch MGL and Metanium 2020. Seeing as the IP is a little bit outdated, I was wondering if it's wasteful to try and do this. The main appeal is I've heard nothing but good stuff about the TDZ platform (besides the strong magnets inside the IP/J-Dream) and it being a "tank" reel. Seems to have a lot of market support as well, coming from a Shimano guy.

Done some research on it and most say the HLC spool is best if I'm looking for casting distance, which I will be ordering as well. With a good tune, would this reel be effective at casting most 3/8-3/4 oz. lures/baits? Primarily skirted jigs with trailer (bottom/chatter/swim), hard baits (crank/jerk) and frogs.

Also heard a lot about the Ian guy on here. If he does his magic tuning, how different would this reel be vs. out the box?

Sir IMHO you would not have to do anything to that reel up to and including the spool change out ( but if you do I’ll buy the stock spool from you for sure)
For what you are wanting to do with it you should get more than adequate casting distance.

I have mine paired on a Megabass X7 extreme mission rod and it is my multi use outfit but I love it for tn70 ripping off the bottom. I have an IP79 spool in a 100m reel and it’s my blitz max cranking setup on a Megabass shallow fast moving special. So personally I enjoy the spool and I have not had any issues with the IP79 in terms of casting distance and such. I’ve not used it for frogs but it is more than capable with the 7.9:1 gear ratio. At the end of the day it is a pretty OG zillion so just think of it as such. Anything you’d use the OG for it can handle just the same but smooth like an aged cognac.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 am

OBTW outdated is debatable
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 am

I have an IP68 and IP79. They are excellent all around reels. The stock spool and empty itself of line with a frog and still skip a jig with SV like effortlessness. The HLC spool is a distance monster but should only be used with 1/2oz and up compact baits. It should also be cast hard only or not cast at all. None of that lob casting or palmimg while casting stuff. The spool will not brake.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 am
Sir IMHO you would not have to do anything to that reel up to and including the spool change out ( but if you do I’ll buy the stock spool from you for sure)
For what you are wanting to do with it you should get more than adequate casting distance.

I have mine paired on a Megabass X7 extreme mission rod and it is my multi use outfit but I love it for tn70 ripping off the bottom. I have an IP79 spool in a 100m reel and it’s my blitz max cranking setup on a Megabass shallow fast moving special. So personally I enjoy the spool and I have not had any issues with the IP79 in terms of casting distance and such. I’ve not used it for frogs but it is more than capable with the 7.9:1 gear ratio. At the end of the day it is a pretty OG zillion so just think of it as such. Anything you’d use the OG for it can handle just the same but smooth like an aged cognac.
Thanks for the input, I'll try the stock spool and see how I like it. I will be pairing it with a Megabass ARMS SuperLeggera 7005X.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 am
I have an IP68 and IP79. They are excellent all around reels. The stock spool and empty itself of line with a frog and still skip a jig with SV like effortlessness. The HLC spool is a distance monster but should only be used with 1/2oz and up compact baits. It should also be cast hard only or not cast at all. None of that lob casting or palmimg while casting stuff. The spool will not brake.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you know which HLC spool is "better"? I see there is the stock HLC with dotted dimples. then there is the SLP HLC spool with lined dimples and there is the I'ZE HLC spool with punched holes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 am

Not sure. I have the dimpled spool and set it up in my IP68 with 10 clicks more than what is needed to eliminate side to side play, set the mag dial to the middle and on the 1st cast it dumped all of the 65# braid with a frog without even trying. I switched to 50# braid and with a litte effort in the cast it dumps all of that too with the same settings so I haven't touched them.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 am
Not sure. I have the dimpled spool and set it up in my IP68 with 10 clicks more than what is needed to eliminate side to side play, set the mag dial to the middle and on the 1st cast it dumped all of the 65# braid with a frog without even trying. I switched to 50# braid and with a litte effort in the cast it dumps all of that too with the same settings so I haven't touched them.
Are you running stock bearings?
Did the stock spool in the IP68 not give you up to par performance?
I have my IP68 on a PV for chatternaits with 20lb floro

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 am
Stock bearings. Not sure which spool is best. I have the dimpled spool and set it up in my IP68 with 10 clicks more than what is needed to eliminate side to side play, set the mag dial to the middle and on the 1st cast it dumped all of the 65# braid with a frog without even trying. I switched to 50# braid and with a litte effort in the cast it dumps all of that too with the same settings so I haven't touched them.
Are you running stock bearings?
Did the stock spool in the IP68 not give you up to par performance?
I have my IP68 on a PV for chatternaits with 20lb floro
On a bomb cast with a terminator walking frog I could cast down to the backer with the stock spool with 50# braid. With the TD Zillion HLC spool I can empty it of 50# braid no backer much easier. Overall it is a worse spool and highly specialized but I like to play around with these things and this allows me to use my Orochi xx gen 1 as both a frog/braid and pitching/flouro setup with two spools. If I had to use just one as an all around then the stock spool for sure. Below is 65# braid with a simple medium effort over the shoulder cast with a terminator walking frog, middle on the mag dial and 10 clocks of the CC tighter than just eliminating side to side play.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200715-221122_Gallery_copy_1080x1443.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-221122_Gallery_copy_1080x1443.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Screenshot_20200715-221108_Gallery_copy_1080x1445.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-221108_Gallery_copy_1080x1445.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 2764 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am

peterJDM wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 pm
LowRange wrote:
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Do you know which HLC spool is "better"? I see there is the stock HLC with dotted dimples. then there is the SLP HLC spool with lined dimples and there is the I'ZE HLC spool with punched holes.
The lines dimpled SLP HLC is for the Zillion TWS reels. These are a wide spool 36mm "1516" sized reel. There have been two Zillion TWS HLCs. The spools for the IP reels are going to be narrow 36mm spools from the TD Zillion HLC and Steez A HLC Magforce Z Boost.
Last edited by LowRange on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am

@LowRange
Thanks

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:24 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am
The lines dimpled SLP HLC is for the Zillion TWS reels. These are a wide spool 36mm "1516" sized reel. There have been two Zillion TWS HLCs. The spools for the IP reels are going to be narrow 36mm spools from the TD Zillion HLC and Steez A HLC Magforce Z Boost.
Is this the "correct" HLC spool that you are talking about?
Attachments
daiwa_zillionhlcspool.jpg
daiwa_zillionhlcspool.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Yep, that's the one I have. I believe that is the stock TD Zillion HLC spool. The ones with the holes is the iZE version of the TD Zillion HLC spool I believe.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm

LowRange wrote:
I have both, this review is right on.