Do you want Daiwa to keep on using the T-Wing on everything they release?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Do you want to see the T-Wing in all the future Daiwa reels?

Yes
34%
No
42%
Oh hell no
25%

Total votes: 65

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Do you want Daiwa to keep on using the T-Wing on everything they release?

Post by SSS » Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm

So how do y'all feel about the daiwa's t-wing? Do you want to see it being introduced in everything daiwa produces for the years to come?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do you want Daiwa to keep on using the T-Wing on everything they release?

Post by CFDoc » Mon May 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Unless they fix the issue I've had with the line staying in the "wide" portion of the T-wing during bait retrieval, I'm gonna say no.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm

I like it on some reels, but it certainly has never been a reason that I bought a reel. I would rather have a slightly wider version of the OG TDZ/Zillion line guide that magically self centers.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm

I just want to see one on a round reel.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm

I had 9 reels with the t-wing at one time, including Steez and Steez CT. Now, only one remains, a lone Tatula TTU 100HS on my frog/jig rod. I have said in times past that it's a non-point for me, but I've slowly returned to the old standby reel frames...TDZ, OG Steez, Alphas and Pixy. I guess I just like them better? So, I chose option #3.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 03, 2021 7:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:46 pm
I had 9 reels with the t-wing at one time, including Steez and Steez CT. Now, only one remains, a lone Tatula TTU 100HS on my frog/jig rod. I have said in times past that it's a non-point for me, but I've slowly returned to the old standby reel frames...TDZ, OG Steez, Alphas and Pixy. I guess I just like them better? So, I chose option #3.
Welcome Back Brother :big grin:
I never had one and can't speak to power on the subject. There are s few TWS reels I'd like to se converted to traditional eyelet reels.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 pm

Not particularly. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Both the original Alphas and Steez have line guides that choke off your cast too much when you make a cast with the line guide all the way to either side. These reels should have been designed with a line guide more like the OG Zillion/TDZ. I don't mind the T-Wing, but it is not necessary if you have the right line guide from the start.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Tue May 04, 2021 1:44 pm

I haven't had experience with the TW guide yet. I'm curious to know, those of you who have used both the OGZ/TDZ reels and the newer Daiwas with TW, which line guide is typcally better? Which do you prefer?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:58 pm

toddmc wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 pm
Both the original Alphas and Steez have line guides that choke off your cast too much when you make a cast with the line guide all the way to either side. These reels should have been designed with a line guide more like the OG Zillion/TDZ. I don't mind the T-Wing, but it is not necessary if you have the right line guide from the start.
Exactly - On all points. I sometimes center the line guide before casting with older reels.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm

The more I use t-wing reels, the more I am coming to believe that they do improve pitching distance and ease. I do a lot of pitching across a wide range of presentations weights and it it seems like it can make a pretty noticeable benefit for lighter stuff. I am waiting on a P5 Hein and kinda think that I should turn my fishing fund towards getting a Steez CT SV for it.

For normal casting I don't find a real difference and I don't like the added width, so if there were a "Meh" option, I would pick that. I don't hate them but I wouldn't write a sternly worded letter if they moved to using them for everything.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 pm

For me the improvement is with large diameter mono filament type lines. I can't imagine trying to throw 20# big game on a non tws reel after using one. I also don't see why they don't have some sort of marine round reel as a level wind surf reel or something.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 am

I have quite a few with T Wing and quite a few with og line guide. The T Wing works well and I have no issues buying a reel with one. Like others have said, with the og line guide, if it is positioned all the way to one side or another, it can effect casting distance.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am

Houndfish wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm
The more I use t-wing reels, the more I am coming to believe that they do improve pitching distance and ease. I do a lot of pitching across a wide range of presentations weights and it it seems like it can make a pretty noticeable benefit for lighter stuff. I am waiting on a P5 Hein and kinda think that I should turn my fishing fund towards getting a Steez CT SV for it.

For normal casting I don't find a real difference and I don't like the added width, so if there were a "Meh" option, I would pick that. I don't hate them but I wouldn't write a sternly worded letter if they moved to using them for everything.
The TWS does seem to help slightly with pitching and roll casting the lighter stuff. It's a little more pure experience. I think that they make much less of a difference with the heavier stuff when you are distance casting.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Wed May 05, 2021 11:04 am

I tend to palm reels with the index finger of my palming hand around the front plate of the reel, with the line running out of the line guide and over the top of it. I do this primarily with bottom-contact techniques, for some reason it translates to better sensitivity in my mind, if not in reality. Unfortunately this precludes me from using any T wing reel post the T3 series, as that pressure on the line pops it up out of the narrow groove and into the T portion, and then ruins line lay on retrieve. I sold a Zillion TWS as a result and haven’t even bothered purchasing another. I’ve got over a dozen OG Daiwas that still do their job and do it well, it makes it hard to commit to another reel when I can just buy spools and gear sets and handles and mess around with what I’ve already got.