Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu May 06, 2021 6:35 am

CFDoc wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:00 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Does anyone know what the hex screw size is?
The one labeled 2.5 on this hex set, lol

Thanks. I ordered a t handle version. I have a couple of those sets, but find them to be a pain to use compared to a t handle one.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 am

Does anyone know what BFS spools are available for the 21 Zillion? I see the Roro one, anyone have experience with it?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am

peterJDM wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 am
Does anyone know what BFS spools are available for the 21 Zillion? I see the Roro one, anyone have experience with it?
I use the two Roro spools - well actually four as options regarding inductor thickness. I really like them. Also use Amo/Momo, Rays, KTF and ZPI spools that are more or less bfs specific.
Different experience regarding fixed inductor (roro, zpi) or moving inductor “sv style” (rays, ktf). Also one newer rays (I guess) diy spool that is shallow and with fixed inductor, which can be placed in/out in 4 settings. All good.

peterJDM
Angler
Angler

Post by peterJDM » Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am
I use the two Roro spools - well actually four as options regarding inductor thickness. I really like them. Also use Amo/Momo, Rays, KTF and ZPI spools that are more or less bfs specific.
Different experience regarding fixed inductor (roro, zpi) or moving inductor “sv style” (rays, ktf). Also one newer rays (I guess) diy spool that is shallow and with fixed inductor, which can be placed in/out in 4 settings. All good.
Of all those, which one do you think you prefer? The RX30 (0.8 - 6 grams) from Roro seems a bit too finesse for what I plan to do. The X27 (1.8 - 15 grams) seems to fit the bill. Do you notice the difference with the thickness of the inductors? Do you prefer the fixed or moving inductor DIY spools?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 am

peterJDM wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:06 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am
Of all those, which one do you think you prefer? The RX30 (0.8 - 6 grams) from Roro seems a bit too finesse for what I plan to do. The X27 (1.8 - 15 grams) seems to fit the bill. Do you notice the difference with the thickness of the inductors? Do you prefer the fixed or moving inductor DIY spools?
For a long time, I did not think much on fixed vs moving inductor. I like both types, but for some reason often gravitate towards the fixed inductor spools. The ZPIs have been great. I have used the Roro spools less, but have had good experiences including both X30 and X27 in the 21 Zillion. I have not used standard and thicken in same reel - as far as I recall - and cannot give firm conclusion. I think I would go X27 with thicken - it is a light spool (5.7 g) and with less brake than stock spool.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Well I finally got the chance to fish the new Zillion. The palming grip with my Zodias is not exactly ergonomic but it's fine for a few hours. I didn't have a lot of the knocking sound in practice because I didn't do a ton of super fast reeling with mostly slack line. Even with a little bit of tension it doesn't knock, so that's nice.

My main complaint is something I've read about, the T-Wing's compatibility with leader knots, or lack thereof. I broke off a freshly tied Rerange (30lb J-Braid > 15lb Tatsu) on the third cast. I wanted a long leader so the knot ended up on the spool, and on that cast it would seem it did not gracefully exit the T-Wing. Snapped right off and sailed off into the sun. I have since shortened the leader so the knot does not go through the T-Wing, and I have not had any more issues. It is a bummer though since it basically means my leader can only be 6 feet long (or the length of your rod, minus a foot or so). For jerkbaiting and any other long leader type scenarios I guess I will have to run straight fluoro (or just use one of my Bantams). Bummer.

Lost $15 lure aside, I s'pose I like it.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm

bwjay wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:40 pm
I broke off a freshly tied Rerange (30lb J-Braid > 15lb Tatsu) on the third cast. I wanted a long leader so the knot ended up on the spool, and on that cast it would seem it did not gracefully exit the T-Wing.
I've always assumed that the leader-eating aspect of Twings came on the retrieve, since your line is sitting in a narrow groove at the bottom of the Twing. On the cast with the "T" aperture wide open it should pass any connection knot w/o a problem.

That's been my experience anyway, every now and then the knot will catch on the way in but never on the way out.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:12 pm

bwjay wrote:
Well I finally got the chance to fish the new Zillion. The palming grip with my Zodias is not exactly ergonomic but it's fine for a few hours. I didn't have a lot of the knocking sound in practice because I didn't do a ton of super fast reeling with mostly slack line. Even with a little bit of tension it doesn't knock, so that's nice.

My main complaint is something I've read about, the T-Wing's compatibility with leader knots, or lack thereof. I broke off a freshly tied Rerange (30lb J-Braid > 15lb Tatsu) on the third cast. I wanted a long leader so the knot ended up on the spool, and on that cast it would seem it did not gracefully exit the T-Wing. Snapped right off and sailed off into the sun. I have since shortened the leader so the knot does not go through the T-Wing, and I have not had any more issues. It is a bummer though since it basically means my leader can only be 6 feet long (or the length of your rod, minus a foot or so). For jerkbaiting and any other long leader type scenarios I guess I will have to run straight fluoro (or just use one of my Bantams). Bummer.

What type of knot did you tied?

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed May 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:12 pm
bwjay wrote:

Uni to Uni, made sure it looked correct. Next one I tied had no issues.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu May 20, 2021 11:26 am

bwjay wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:27 pm
Jbc88 wrote:
bwjay wrote:

I have been exclusively “braid to leader” for more than five years and use the “Improved Albright” knot to join the two. All of my leaders are long enough so that they are on the spool and there has never been any issue traversing the T-Wing in either direction. That is my experience with multiple T-Wing reels.
https://leadertec.com/big-game-fishing- ... -albright/

In addition, tied correctly, the knot has no problem traversing micro guides and the strength at the knot is strong enough that I have not experienced any apparent “break offs” at the knot.

Regards,
Doc

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Thu May 20, 2021 3:29 pm

bwjay wrote:
Jbc88 wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Have you try fg knot? I havent had a problem with it going through the t wing.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu May 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:29 pm
bwjay wrote:
Jbc88 wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Have you try fg knot? I havent had a problem with it going through the t wing.
I did, twice- then I decided life is short and I'd rather use a knot that I can tie reliably and quickly.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu May 20, 2021 6:46 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:26 am
bwjay wrote:
Jbc88 wrote:
bwjay wrote:

I have been exclusively “braid to leader” for more than five years and use the “Improved Albright” knot to join the two. All of my leaders are long enough so that they are on the spool and there has never been any issue traversing the T-Wing in either direction. That is my experience with multiple T-Wing reels.

In addition, tied correctly, the knot has no problem traversing micro guides and the strength at the knot is strong enough that I have not experienced any apparent “break offs” at the knot.

Regards,
Doc
Hm. I've given it a few tries now and I'm 2 for 4. But I think I could get it down. I like the smaller knot for sure. It seems like it might go through all line guides better. I'd read about it a few times but hadn't tried it. I'll have to keep practicing but maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Last edited by bwjay on Thu May 20, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu May 20, 2021 7:14 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:46 pm
DrPerf wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:26 am
bwjay wrote:
Jbc88 wrote:
bwjay wrote:

Regards,
Doc
Hm. I've given it a few tries now and I'm 2 for 4. But I think I could get it down. I like the smaller knot for sure. It seems like it might go through all line guides better I'd read about it a few times but hadn't tried it. I'll have to keep practicing but maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.
=D> It take a little practice and make sure the loops are not "crossing" each other.

I sat listening to some music the first time and practiced for 30-40 minutes. Now I can tie it in the wind.

For braid 16-50#, I typically make 7 loops around all three 'lines' and 4 anchor loops at the end. Then tighten down the knot with each tag end.

Doc

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:31 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:02 pm
I did, twice- then I decided life is short and I'd rather use a knot that I can tie reliably and quickly.
The modified Alberto is a perfect compromise. Pass braid through floro/mono loop TWICE, cut floro/mono tag end perfectly flush but leave a 1/4" braid tag end (or it will fluff inside the knot and unravel).