Compact Baitcasting Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Compact Baitcasting Reels

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am

I’m looking for a lower profile reel. I have very small hands and palming any of my existing reels can start to be uncomfortable and fatiguing after long too water sessions. Unfortunately I have no local stores where I can go to compare sizes in person. I’m currently using a ‘17 tatula sv tw so I know it needs to be smaller than that.

My problem is, most of the reels that are marketed as being smaller are designed for throwing finesse baits. So essentially I need something that is capable with 3/8-3/4oz baits but small. Any suggestions?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Compact Baitcasting Reels

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:19 am

The original Alphas series is a compact reel that still holds a good amount of line. The Megabass Zonda 68 has the deepest spool of all the Alphas variants. It holds 100m/14# mono.
Another option would be to get one of the finesse BFS reels and use braid with a topshot of mono or fluorocarbon. That will solve the line capacity issue.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:00 am

Shimano Stile is very compact. I have tendon issues in my hands that force me to use smaller reels. The SS version is built on the Curado 70 frame, and the regular Stile is built on the Aldebaran frame. I use the SS version for everything 3/16-1oz and they cast extremely well/far. Spool is actually a little shallower than a 50/70 sized reel despite the 150 size rating. I use 30lb braid and have no issues, although I can spool it completely with big Topwaters and twitch baits. Brass gear swap from the Curado 70 makes it bulletproof, and has been a great performer with any saltwater species I’ve come across, and of course bass as well.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:12 am

Build like a tank - a tiny tank: Bantam MGL. Feels just as small as a Curado 70 platform but you get that deeper spool and the more sturdy frame if you need that. I’m also having a hard time wrapping my fingers around T-Wing reels and the Bantam is my absolute favorite in the palming/feeling in hand category

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:17 am

If you want to stay in the same price range as your tatula sv, the newer version is quite a bit smaller in hand as is the curado 70. If you want to go up in range, the bantam, new zillion, and metanium are really nice reels that are smaller framed.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:49 am

Id vote for an OG alphas variant

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:40 pm

I have had a lot of bantam and alphas recommendations. So right now those are the two I want to try out the most. Why the original alphas over the new alphas sv tw?

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:50 pm

The new okuma hakai looks promising as well but I have a hard time not using shimano or daiwa

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:27 pm

Get yourself an Alphas CT SV 70. Versatile, built to last, affordable, and just a great little reel. I don't fish Shimano, so I can't comment on their newer reels. The old 50 series were super easy to palm (similar to the Alphas), but not nearly as versatile. I've been fishing Daiwa for quite a few years, and I believe that the Alphas CT is possibly the best bang for buck reel they've produced.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:40 pm
I have had a lot of bantam and alphas recommendations. So right now those are the two I want to try out the most. Why the original alphas over the new alphas sv tw?
Because of the T-wing the sv tw is wider in the front and hence less palm-friendly

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:45 pm

While I am more of a daiwa fan and it feels sacrilegious to put a shimano reel on a megabass rod I am leaning towards the bantam the more research I do. Now I just have to find one in stock on one of the JDM sites in the right gear ratio.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm

I have to disagree with most on here. You NEED the Bantam or Metanium for those lure weights. I have an Alphas that I use with 7lb fluoro (holds a ton of it) and if I bomb a 3/8 or especially 1/2 it will dump the spool. I am sure it would work, but getting on up to 3/4 is a pretty heavy lure. I honestly feel an Alphas or Curado 70 would be somewhat overloaded by a 3/4oz lure. I throw that weight on my Chronarch MGL w/ 14lb fluoro sometimes and it leaves the line pretty low. I just assume at that weight you are using Carolina rigs, big jigs, moderate sized paddletails, etc. I absolutely love my SV105 and plan on purchasing the SV TW version, but those weights seem a bit much for that reel. I think a new Zillion, Bantam, or Metanium would be much better suited. Using lures that heavy with very light braid or light line in general with a small finesse oriented reel is a bad mix.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm
I have to disagree with most on here. You NEED the Bantam or Metanium for those lure weights. I have an Alphas that I use with 7lb fluoro (holds a ton of it) and if I bomb a 3/8 or especially 1/2 it will dump the spool. I am sure it would work, but getting on up to 3/4 is a pretty heavy lure. I honestly feel an Alphas or Curado 70 would be somewhat overloaded by a 3/4oz lure. I throw that weight on my Chronarch MGL w/ 14lb fluoro sometimes and it leaves the line pretty low. I just assume at that weight you are using Carolina rigs, big jigs, moderate sized paddletails, etc. I absolutely love my SV105 and plan on purchasing the SV TW version, but those weights seem a bit much for that reel. I think a new Zillion, Bantam, or Metanium would be much better suited. Using lures that heavy with very light braid or light line in general with a small finesse oriented reel is a bad mix.
Yeah, I didn't catch this part of the original post.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am
I’m looking for a lower profile reel. I have very small hands and palming any of my existing reels can start to be uncomfortable and fatiguing after long too water sessions. Unfortunately I have no local stores where I can go to compare sizes in person. I’m currently using a ‘17 tatula sv tw so I know it needs to be smaller than that.

My problem is, most of the reels that are marketed as being smaller are designed for throwing finesse baits. So essentially I need something that is capable with 3/8-3/4oz baits but small. Any suggestions?

Curado 50e with stock spool
Pixy Type R if using braid
Alphas reel platform
OG Steez
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm
Yeah, I didn't catch this part of the original post.
Meaning about the lure weights? Now I think I missed something. I always consider and trust a more veteran member than myself, have learned a ton off this website and forum.