Have you ever been disappointed after an upgrade?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Have you ever been disappointed after an upgrade?

Post by zelmo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:07 pm

I am new to upgrading reels. So far I have only changed bearings on a couple reels and replaced knobs that were deteriorating.

I am going to do more but I am not sure if I should mess with one of them. I have an Aldebaran Mg7 (Bob) mounted on a MBR 842 GLX from when GLX was top dog. I use it to throw 5” senkos and love it.

I have newer rods and reels that I use for other applications and I like them as well. I am wondering if I should just leave Bob alone or if I should change the bearings at the same time I do the knobs. I am inclined to put in the best bearings that I can and if I don’t think it improves the reel I can revert back and use the bearings in another reel.

Have you ever undone a bearing upgrade?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Have you ever been disappointed after an upgrade?

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Fix Bob up and never sell it. Selling is the only regret around these parts.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:36 am

I have often been disappointed with the effect or lack thereof of a bearing upgrade.
It can improve feel/castability/distance but often does not.
However, a bearing upgrade is among the easiest upgrades you can do, and I have done it to most of my reels.
I encourage you to give it a try💪. See what happens 🤞🙏🤗

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:36 am
I have often been disappointed with the effect or lack thereof of a bearing upgrade.
This... i've stopped playing the upgrade game a long time ago but especially given how much use reels get after I finish writing them up.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 am

Cal wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 am
Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:36 am
This... i've stopped playing the upgrade game a long time ago but especially given how much use reels get after I finish writing them up.
Same. I stopped upgrading the bearings. The stock bearings in high-end casting reels are good. I also don't like the noise ceramic bearings make.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:40 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 am
I also don't like the noise ceramic bearings make.
Very annoying and not high end sounding at all. It's a grinding noise making it seem as if the bearings are dirty. :evil:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:38 pm

Thanks for the responses.

This is certainly subjective, but how do you define high end that doesn’t need bearings upgraded? As an example I would classify the Daiwa Steez as high end, but is the Shimano Curado far enough down the scale that better bearings would help?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 am

I was told by a famous Shimano reel tech many years back that reels like Curado and Scorpion have Abec 5-7 level bearings stock and reels like the metanium, Antares, Core etc have Abec 7/9 level bearings. If you take the stock bearings out of a Curado 50 and a Core 50 you can see they are different. He suggested not upgrading the bearings unless they were bad/ruined/faulty.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 am
I was told by a famous Shimano reel tech many years back that reels like Curado and Scorpion have Abec 5-7 level bearings stock and reels like the metanium, Antares, Core etc have Abec 7/9 level bearings. If you take the stock bearings out of a Curado 50 and a Core 50 you can see they are different. He suggested not upgrading the bearings unless they were bad/ruined/faulty.
That is very helpful. Thank you.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:12 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:14 am
Is there any info like this on Daiwa baitcasters (specifically Steez.)