Shimano Expride Thoughts??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Expride Thoughts??

Post by jlang95 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:56 pm

What are your guys thoughts on the Exprides? I have been building my own rods but time is less prevalent now that I have a new baby so I’m looking at trying some more rods and haven’t ever used a Shimano rod before. So what are your thoughts on the Exprides? And what are your favorite models?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Expride Thoughts??

Post by Drakestar » Tue May 31, 2022 5:38 pm

Good value at their price point, not punching above their weight as much as some YouTube channels may want you to believe. I think I'd buy an Expride over an IMX and save some money, but I might also buy a Powell Max over an Expride and similarly save money.

The topic has been discussed before and there's tons of people here who really like Exprides. They can chime in while I get the popcorn :lol:

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:38 pm

jlang95 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:56 pm
What are your guys thoughts on the Exprides? I have been building my own rods but time is less prevalent now that I have a new baby so I’m looking at trying some more rods and haven’t ever used a Shimano rod before. So what are your thoughts on the Exprides? And what are your favorite models?
The Expride A's came out, what...2016? To this day there's nothing on the market that comes close in terms of price/performance ratio.

I've pulled so many fish on my 610ML spinner - excellent vertical DS, damiki, tightlining rod. The 72ML"BFS" is a sleeper for me - light bottom contact, but also 90-110mm sized jerkbaits. Sort of a versatile ML+ blank.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 pm

I really like the Zodias 7'2" ML and just picked up the Expride 7'2" ML and it's fantastic. The casting flow is just smooth and effortless. Works great for my 1/4 oz. lures.

I picked up an Expride A 6'10" ML earlier this spring and it was working out wonderful. Casting and working the lure is great. However there were times I felt as if the ML power wasn't enough for the few fishes I hooked up with. I just picked up an Expride B 7' Medium spinning rod, cuz I figure it's about time to sort of upgrade to the Calcutta Inshore 7' M. Will see how it will work out.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:10 pm

I have the 6 10 medium, the 2 piece 2017 JDM version. I absolutely love that rod, exactly what I wanted. It is in my permanent collection now, do not plan to replace it.
On the other hand it is difficult to say how good they are. I mean even Shimano has their own higher end series, so it is not the absolute best out there. They are popular for a reason though, these are great rods and I plan to buy another one, but this time from the new series.
Rod choices are always personal, but I think it is difficult to go wrong with the Exprides.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm

I have a 8lb spinning and 12, 20 and 25 casting. Not high end rods, but excelent cost benefit. Would not choose one, where sensitivity makes a difference, but for all other things would be a candidate.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:52 am

zalan wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:10 pm
I have the 6 10 medium, the 2 piece 2017 JDM version. I absolutely love that rod, exactly what I wanted. It is in my permanent collection now, do not plan to replace it.
On the other hand it is difficult to say how good they are. I mean even Shimano has their own higher end series, so it is not the absolute best out there. They are popular for a reason though, these are great rods and I plan to buy another one, but this time from the new series.
I mean, you can compare an Expride with the its higher end counterparts and see quite well how they stack up :P I have the Expride 6'10" M, Poison Adrena 6'10" M and Poison Glorious 6'10" M, and the PA and PG are more sensitive/noticeably more sensitive when fished side by side, using the same line and bait. Sensitivity is subjective and hard to quantify, but for me, bottom contact fun in the Shimano line doesn't start until I got to the Poison Glorious. The Expride feels serviceable, the Poison Adrena feels good, but if you're lucky enough to fish a high-end lineup, it takes a Poison Glorious to get fishing time alongside the GLXs, NRXs, Steez, K2s and MB Destroyers of the world. (Not sure I'll ever get a Poison Ultima, they're too much of a pain to source - but that rod that would provide the ultimate comparison to some of those other halo rods.)

Not everybody has a super high-end lineup, and Exprides are considered a good bang-for-the-buck line of rods. I have three and my 6'10" M and 7'3" XH get frequent priority use for Jerk Baits and Frogs. The 6'10" ML is disappointing (in MY mind) for bottom contact (drop shot, Ned rigs etc.) compared to other rods in that price range, though, so I stopped fishing it (and should probably sell it...)

I feel like Exprides are great at their price point when it comes to workmanship, lightness and balance, but not better (and maybe slightly worse) when it comes to sensitivity.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:29 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:52 am
zalan wrote:
I mean, you can compare an Expride with the its higher end counterparts and see quite well how they stack up :P I have the Expride 6'10" M, Poison Adrena 6'10" M and Poison Glorious 6'10" M, and the PA and PG are more sensitive/noticeably more sensitive when fished side by side, using the same line and bait. Sensitivity is subjective and hard to quantify, but for me, bottom contact fun in the Shimano line doesn't start until I got to the Poison Glorious. The Expride feels serviceable, the Poison Adrena feels good, but if you're lucky enough to fish a high-end lineup, it takes a Poison Glorious to get fishing time alongside the GLXs, NRXs, Steez, K2s and MB Destroyers of the world. (Not sure I'll ever get a Poison Ultima, they're too much of a pain to source - but that rod that would provide the ultimate comparison to some of those other halo rods.)
I never handled any of the Poison Adrena/Glorious rods, so cannot compare. I do have an Abu Garcia rod which is more sensitive, but also it was a more expensive rod back then. This is no surprise though, higher grade materials can give you more sensitivity. I'm sure there are plenty other high end rods out there which provide that advantage.

Since then I ordered the 7'2 heavy from the new lineup, hopefully I will like it as much as I like the 6'10 medium.

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 am

Drakestar wrote:
zalan wrote:

Not everybody has a super high-end lineup, and Exprides are considered a good bang-for-the-buck line of rods. I have three and my 6'10" M and 7'3" XH get frequent priority use for Jerk Baits and Frogs. The 6'10" ML is disappointing (in MY mind) for bottom contact (drop shot, Ned rigs etc.) compared to other rods in that price range, though, so I stopped fishing it (and should probably sell it...)

I feel like Exprides are great at their price point when it comes to workmanship, lightness and balance, but not better (and maybe slightly worse) when it comes to sensitivity.

Where do you place the Poison Glorious compared to the GLX, NRX? Same question for Poison Adreana. Loomis is an easy line to compare to for me. I've been eyeing the Poison Glorious for a little while now, but the PA is tempting too.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:41 pm

Well I got to use my Expride B 7' M spinning rod and my only direct comparison is the Shimano Calcutta 7' M spinning rod. Both rods have SiC guides. Mostly just using Kastmaster spoon fishing as it works great on pikes and other species willing to bite.

While the Expride is a touch more powerful blank, the tip is actually a bit softer and more responsive. It is however a little less tip vibration sensitive in comparison to the Calcutta rod. I'm not feeling as strong of a bite vibration response as the Calcutta rod. I will say that the load of of rod is wonderful. Keeps fish pinned once hooked and has enough backbone power and response. Holds as a true fast action.

With the Sustain 2500FE reel and 10# Sufix braid, there is some barely noticeable line slap feel on the line guides. Casting is still wonderful and smooth. I had tried earlier with a Stradic 3000MgFb with 15# Fireline Braid and there was a definite line slap restriction feel on my casting. My old Calcutta rod has a much larger stripper guide and it has a much smoother line flow on the cast. Reels were swapped between both rods too.

Is it an upgrade from the Calcutta rod? Not really it's different in some areas.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 am

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 am
Drakestar wrote:
zalan wrote:

Where do you place the Poison Glorious compared to the GLX, NRX? Same question for Poison Adreana. Loomis is an easy line to compare to for me. I've been eyeing the Poison Glorious for a little while now, but the PA is tempting too.
The Poison Adrena fell into that weird “not quite there” hole for me. I really like the two Exprides that are in my regular rotation (6’10” M for jerkbaits and 7’3” XH for frogs) because they’re light and have actions that work for me for those techniques. But in my lineup they’re not sensitive enough to get any bottom contact play (which is why I don’t use my 6’10” ML a ton unless it’s spybaits). Theoretically the PA should be that upgrade that unlocks BC, but while sensitivity is better in direct comparison (maybe a bit better than an IMX? Not 100% sure because I’ve only fished them as loaners but don’t own one) it’s still not great enough to compete with my regular bottom contact lineup (NRX, the occasional GLX, K2, X-Ray, USDM/P5 Destroyers, Steez etc). The PA is Shimano America’s top of the line, but IMO it can’t compete with other halo series.

The Poison Glorious does feel sensitive enough to do that, though. I don’t know exactly where to place it compared to GLX/NRX (not as sensitive as a NRX probably, but plenty of “tick detection”). It’s definitely fun enough to play in the upper league, and it’s put me in that “I kinda want a Poison Ultima now - but I don’t need a Poison Ultima” spot, which is why I’m trying not to get one (and luckily for my bank account they’re impossible to find anyway). By comparison, the PA definitely made me feel that I needed a PG. Same way a bottom contact IMX probably makes you want a GLX+.

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:42 am

Great info. Thank you. Sounds like the PG is probably somewhere between the blue Steez AGS that I have and my GLXs in terms of sensitivity. I wanted the PG 610M badly, but it looks like it may be too fast for jerkbaits and other smaller hooked moving baits. I was kinda hoping I could get it mainly for jerkbaits, but could throw a shakey head or finesse jigs as well. I'm too spoiled by my NRXs GLXs Evoluzion and steez to go back to an IMX level stick for bottom contact. Sure it would get the job done just fine, but it's simply more fun with the higher end gear.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:06 am

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:42 am
Great info. Thank you. Sounds like the PG is probably somewhere between the blue Steez AGS that I have and my GLXs in terms of sensitivity. I wanted the PG 610M badly, but it looks like it may be too fast for jerkbaits and other smaller hooked moving baits. I was kinda hoping I could get it mainly for jerkbaits, but could throw a shakey head or finesse jigs as well. I'm too spoiled by my NRXs GLXs Evoluzion and steez to go back to an IMX level stick for bottom contact. Sure it would get the job done just fine, but it's simply more fun with the higher end gear.
FWIW, jerkbaits is exactly the reason I climbed my way through the 6’10” models: I was looking for a bank fishing rod that could do both bottom contact and that had the right taper for jerkbaits. I did a bunch of side-by-side comparisons to the Expride as I went along. (Just trying to optimize rods, it’s hard to hike with a dedicated one-technique stick unless you’re certain ahead of time that you’ll use it.)

The 6’10” M Poison Glorious is definitely stiffer and faster than the Expride and thus not quite as good as a dedicated jerkbait rod, but it maintains the typical Shimano taper and is still very good at throwing Vision 110s, Flash Pointers etc. I’ve spent entire days on Clear Lake throwing jerkbaits on that rod and didn’t really miss the Expride (using straight 10lbs Tatsu fluorocarbon). Head to head the Expride is better because it is a bit softer, but not by a ton.

I’d found this chart a while ago and feel it applies to the 6’10” as well. (The Expride would show up a bit softer than even the blue PA line.) Based on the chart alone the Ultima feels too fast for me just, but the PA and PG maintain their taper well.
D5AD3C11-E288-4882-B042-9EDF8BD8D3D9.jpeg
D5AD3C11-E288-4882-B042-9EDF8BD8D3D9.jpeg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 9692 times

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:26 am

Does anyone have the new Expride B 6’10 M who previously had the old one. I have a couple of Expride B’s and was all set to buy the 6’10, but I’ve read on other forums that the new model is stiffer and not as good for jerkbaits. Can anyone weigh in?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:04 pm

I am really interested in buying one, but i'd like it to be in 4-5pieces like some of the newer zodias models.