Metanium 20 & Shallow Water Edition Comparision w/ Pics

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Metanium 20 & Shallow Water Edition Comparision w/ Pics

Post by Dan B » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:01 am

Going to keep this short and sweet, if you want to know anything else just ask.

Same:
Body is obviously the same. SVS Infinity brakes are exactly the same. No different color brake shoes, size, etc... both are 4 pin.
XG to XG comparison both some with 90mm handle, same knobs, both still 10+1 bearings.

Differences:
Paint color is way more different between the two than I expected (which was hard to tell in some pics online). Once they are next to each other you can notice a bunch of differences. The gear side plate and handle nut cover are different.
Shallow water main gear goes back to aluminum which accounts for 10 gram weight loss. This is actually noticeable in handle when holding both, which I was surprised since that's only a little over 1/3 of an ounce.
The line guide is a different color, don't know if the material changed too... would doubt that though.
Line difference is significant... 2020 version is 10lb/120yrds, Shallow Water edition is only 8lb/100yrds
(Same line capacity as JDM Aldebaran 31HG I have)... hopefully it casts just as well.

With this Metanium Shallow Water Edition out now, it makes you wonder if there will be standard Aldebarans coming out soon since the BFS model has launched and a standard would typically follow. Do they even need to make it anymore?

Hopefully the paint holds up a little better because in my use, the 2020 paint (on all 3 I own) have not held up as well to normal fishing wear and tear in comparison to other Shimano reels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium 20 & Shallow Water Edition Comparision w/ Pics

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:06 pm

I got the yumeya shallow spool for my bantam I knew eventually this would be a thing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:13 pm

I have 2 of them coming in HG for 2 Poison Adrena 7'3" MH's. I'll spool them with 12 lb Tatsu and call it a wrap. Hopefully it will be perfect for trigs, 3/8oz Jigs, and various other soft plastics. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:53 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:06 pm
I got the yumeya shallow spool for my bantam I knew eventually this would be a thing
Ya, it’s nice the shallow edition spool is Yumeya and comes stock… good call by Shimano.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:56 am

Dan B wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:53 pm
goldrod wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:06 pm
Ya, it’s nice the shallow edition spool is Yumeya and comes stock… good call by Shimano.
Would like to see a spool weight comparison of the two. I really considered one of these reels, great prices right now. I just worry about the aluminum gears, I know you can always upgrade them, but I haven't heard the brass ones are flawless either. Buying a Calcutta Conquest as my second Shimano really spoiled me...

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:52 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:56 am
Would like to see a spool weight comparison of the two. I really considered one of these reels, great prices right now. I just worry about the aluminum gears, I know you can always upgrade them, but I haven't heard the brass ones are flawless either. Buying a Calcutta Conquest as my second Shimano really spoiled me...
METANIUM 20 XG SPOOL : 13.85 GRAMS
METANIUM SHALLOW WATER EDITION XG SPOOL : 14.34 GRAMS

Not the results I expected... will be interesting to see cast difference once I figure out what rod I'm going to put it on.
I have a new Expride B 6'10 M I might put it on if it doesn't end up on a P5 rod at some point.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:09 pm

Dan B wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:52 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

Not the results I expected... will be interesting to see cast difference once I figure out what rod I'm going to put it on.
I have a new Expride B 6'10 M I might put it on if it doesn't end up on a P5 rod at some point.
The Millionaire is the same way. The stock, deeper 700 size 30mm spool weighs a gram less that the 700 Shallow 30mm version. Whenever you fill them with line I am sure the more shallow spool has a lighter total weight. Using braid backing bridges the gap though and probably makes the performance differences minimal. This is why I strayed away from the Alphas Shallow.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:24 am

Dan B wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Had any time to further test this reel? Will be curious as to how the aluminum micro gears hold up and how it casts lighter lures compared to the regular Metanium or the Aldebaran MGL.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:54 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:24 am
Dan B wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Had any time to further test this reel? Will be curious as to how the aluminum micro gears hold up and how it casts lighter lures compared to the regular Metanium or the Aldebaran MGL.
Not yet, been working way too much. I would love to have the time to get out and do it though.
Only had the boat out twice since July, been a crap year at work.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:09 pm

Is the Shallow edition really needed? The stock JDM spool was pretty good. I found that I had a hard time casting with these newer reels, especially the Met 20 and the Aldebaren MGL. I could get distance from them but the casting was very sporatic, very inconsistent. I removed the O ring from the brake side bearing and it performed a lot better with lighter baits.
Long live the Jerkbait

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:48 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:09 pm
Is the Shallow edition really needed? The stock JDM spool was pretty good. I found that I had a hard time casting with these newer reels, especially the Met 20 and the Aldebaren MGL. I could get distance from them but the casting was very sporatic, very inconsistent. I removed the O ring from the brake side bearing and it performed a lot better with lighter baits.
The Conquest 100HG is similar, I will just turn up the brakes and take a small hit on distance. I was very surprised by how well it threw light baits, but it does get wild sometimes. Be too scared to try and remove the O-ring. It shouldn't affect casting abilities being on the outer race, but who knows.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:12 pm

Idk, I have three and mine don't get wild at all. If fact, two of them are on dedicated skipping setups and I get great distance under docks with them... zero issues. One I use for bombing Dark Sleepers on 12lb fluoro and I have never found mine to be unruly or inconsistent.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 am

Never had a conquest get wild, never

I’ve never taken the o-ring out of any of my reels and my bantams with the Yumeya shallow spools cast far better than stock
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:29 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 am
Never had a conquest get wild, never

I’ve never taken the o-ring out of any of my reels and my bantams with the Yumeya shallow spools cast far better than stock
I probably have mine set too loose and not the best with Shimano casters. I run 14lb or 12lb fluorocarbon and throw fairly light jigs/shaky heads and some smaller swimbaits. Running with only two brakes on and low on the external dial has needed a good thumb for me is all. Only backlash I had was when I hit the water early one morning and didn't realize it because the sun wasn't up yet, just a mistake. Got careless from using so many SV spools.