2 piece JDM rods any problems vs 1 piece?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
midnightowl626
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

2 piece JDM rods any problems vs 1 piece?

Post by midnightowl626 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:40 pm

any problems with big sensitivity loss vs a 1 piece in rods like the poison glorious or poison ultima? also when casting is there any chance the pieces can split and go flying into the water like budget rods do?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2 piece JDM rods any problems vs 1 piece?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 pm

With the JDM sticks that separate at the handle, I'd say you would have one heck of a time knowing so while fishing. That's been my experience with some Daiwa Steez and Poison Glorious rods I own. For multi piece rods it's a different story, regardless as to where it's manufactured. There will always be an emphasis on the upper 3rd - tip section. Definitely feels and fishes a little different from my experience.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:33 am

I've not had a problem with them. The fish like a 1 pc but have a gap at the ferrule.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:58 am

midnightowl626 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:40 pm
any problems with big sensitivity loss vs a 1 piece in rods like the poison glorious or poison ultima? also when casting is there any chance the pieces can split and go flying into the water like budget rods do?
Whole Europe is fishing with 2 piece rods, they work just fine. If they are properly put together, you won't have any issues.

Also think about fly rods, basically the 4 pieces are industry standards there even with 1000USD+ rods. The technology is there to make them right and it was there for a long time.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:11 pm

I have never had any issues with my modern JDM 2-piece rods in regards to sensitivity, or the top portion flying off on a cast (unlike the old school USDM Berkley rods I grew up fishing lol). What I have noticed is as the connection ages (from lots of use and some wear), and over a long hard day of casting, movement of the rod, hooksetting/fighting fish...that sometimes the upper portion can get skewered slightly out of straight alignment.

That's a simple and easy adjustment to "get right" again.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:11 pm
I have never had any issues with my modern JDM 2-piece rods in regards to sensitivity, or the top portion flying off on a cast (unlike the old school USDM Berkley rods I grew up fishing lol). What I have noticed is as the connection ages (from lots of use and some wear), and over a long hard day of casting, movement of the rod, hooksetting/fighting fish...that sometimes the upper portion can get skewered slightly out of straight alignment.

Use a bit of ferrule wax and it will solve that issue.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:13 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm
dragon1 wrote:

Use a bit of ferrule wax and it will solve that issue.

Thanks for the advice, I will look up this product.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:53 am

dragon1 wrote:
...What I have noticed is as the connection ages (from lots of use and some wear), and over a long hard day of casting, movement of the rod, hooksetting/fighting fish...that sometimes the upper portion can get skewered slightly out of straight alignment.

None of my 2 piece rods where the blank goes into the handle do this but I have the newer center cut Poison Adrena that does. I just check it and straighten it as needed. Often keep it together as a one piece fwiw. My fly rods will occasionally get out of alignment as well but I'll check and reseat them if needed every few hours or between spots.

Ferrule wax is an odd thing where some people swear by it or others don't even recommend it. The downside I've read is that debris can get to the wax and act as abrasive at the ferrule joint or that it can build up inside the female portion of the ferrule and needs to be cleaned out. I read a long back and forth thread about it on a fly fishing forum.

For a stuck 2 piece rod, try the two person, overlapping hand technique. Definitely works for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:55 am

Mike son wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:53 am
dragon1 wrote:
...What I have noticed is as the connection ages (from lots of use and some wear), and over a long hard day of casting, movement of the rod, hooksetting/fighting fish...that sometimes the upper portion can get skewered slightly out of straight alignment.

None of my 2 piece rods where the blank goes into the handle do this but I have the newer center cut Poison Adrena that does. I just check it and straighten it as needed. Often keep it together as a one piece fwiw. My fly rods will occasionally get out of alignment as well but I'll check and reseat them if needed every few hours or between spots.

Ferrule wax is an odd thing where some people swear by it or others don't even recommend it. The downside I've read is that debris can get to the wax and act as abrasive at the ferrule joint or that it can build up inside the female portion of the ferrule and needs to be cleaned out. I read a long back and forth thread about it on a fly fishing forum.

For a stuck 2 piece rod, try the two person, overlapping hand technique. Definitely works for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

Thanks for sharing....I don't want to attempt getting my MB Cyber Shootist apart...I used quite a bit of force to insert the two pieces when I first received it, because I was trying to get rid of the "gap" section between the bottom and top portions...DOH!?!

Anyhow, it's a helluva great casting and performing one-piece 7'11" now. Hahaha.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:56 am

I would like to fish a conquest against one of my '16 glorious sticks to see if I1 can sense a difference in sensitivity. Both rods use the same blank, but the conquest is a 1 piece w/ expised blank.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31 pm

I have a Daiwa Presso AGS 2 piece rod. That sucker is so sensitive. I can feel it when a crappie feeds up. Blew me away.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:08 pm

I echo all of these sentiments and will pile on with I have JDM Expride which is a 2 piece that connects at the handle and it is every bit as sensitive as my US version.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:04 am

zalan wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:58 am
midnightowl626 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:40 pm
Whole Europe is fishing with 2 piece rods, they work just fine. If they are properly put together, you won't have any issues.

Also think about fly rods, basically the 4 pieces are industry standards there even with 1000USD+ rods. The technology is there to make them right and it was there for a long time.
I agree. I have some 1-piece rods (10 or so) but I prefer my larger collection of 2-piece rods... Buy a good brand and no issue IMO.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:37 am

PotatoLake wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:08 pm
I echo all of these sentiments and will pile on with I have JDM Expride which is a 2 piece that connects at the handle and it is every bit as sensitive as my US version.
I have 3 of the handle connect JDM Steez. 1 handled a 8 1/2 lb LMB flawlessly. Another handled a 5 + lb channel cat. I hadn’t used a 2 pc rod in 50 year before that.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:29 am

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:37 am
PotatoLake wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:08 pm
I have 3 of the handle connect JDM Steez. 1 handled a 8 1/2 lb LMB flawlessly. Another handled a 5 + lb channel cat. I hadn’t used a 2 pc rod in 50 year before that.
It figures … this morning 2 of my JDM Steez rods slipped a bit.