TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Shie
Angler
Angler

Re: The Highest Example – The Edge Epitome Rods from Gary Loomis

Post by Shie » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:54 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:54 pm

I ordered August 16th and my rod doesn't even show in production yet.
I ordered mine October 27 so I can't imagine how far back I am. Status hasn't changed from "inventory check" since the day I ordered it.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 pm

DeesnaytheAngler wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:54 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:

I ordered mine October 27 so I can't imagine how far back I am. Status hasn't changed from "inventory check" since the day I ordered it.
Mine still hasn't, guess they left the 1 in front of the 60 off.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:35 pm

DeesnaytheAngler wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:54 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:

yea u might be getting yours in 2025

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:48 pm

amso4 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:33 pm
The Epitome arrived in one piece, kinda. The tube caps are different that any I have seen before. Pressed into the cardboard tube and really hard to get out. I had to use pliers to lever it out.

The rod weighs 3.05oz on my scale. Incredibly light in weight but also very seems powerful in action. I need some time to mess with it but here are some pictures. The tip was bent during shipping.

PXL_20221121_210033429.jpgPXL_20221121_210012415.jpgPXL_20221121_205901090.jpgPXL_20221121_205824501.jpgPXL_20221121_205036427.jpg
Sorry to see the tip was messed up in transit, really wish mail carriers would give a damn about getting packages delivered undamaged.
How does the rod feel otherwise? Does it have a softer tip section or is it more like a broomstick?

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:36 pm

The damage to to tip was disappointing. I emailed a picture of the damage to edge customer support, but so far no response. I guess I have to call and complain.

I have fished the rod on two occasions. I have fished jerkbaits, blade baits, lipless and a jig. It seems to be a "do it all" type of MBR action. Not a broomstick or too soft either. Casting is very good. The recoil guides are similar to a typical NRX. I was hoping that the sensitivity would be better. So far all I can say it that the sensitivity is unremarkable. I have not had much time with bottom contact baits to fully test "feel" of the rod, but based on lipless and blade bait vibrations its good, but not at the level of NRX sensitivity.

I like the rod. It's not going to replace any NRX's in my line up. Hopefully it will shine once I spend some more time with it when the weather is warmer and better suited for bottom contact baits.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:08 am

amso4 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:36 pm
The damage to to tip was disappointing. I emailed a picture of the damage to edge customer support, but so far no response. I guess I have to call and complain.

I have fished the rod on two occasions. I have fished jerkbaits, blade baits, lipless and a jig. It seems to be a "do it all" type of MBR action. Not a broomstick or too soft either. Casting is very good. The recoil guides are similar to a typical NRX. I was hoping that the sensitivity would be better. So far all I can say it that the sensitivity is unremarkable. I have not had much time with bottom contact baits to fully test "feel" of the rod, but based on lipless and blade bait vibrations its good, but not at the level of NRX sensitivity.

I like the rod. It's not going to replace any NRX's in my line up. Hopefully it will shine once I spend some more time with it when the weather is warmer and better suited for bottom contact baits.
Sounds like it's a good rod but nothing special? No wow or"it"factor?

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 am

I think that the Epitome is very solid feeling especially that it is incredibly light weight. The action is really nice MBR and can do moving baits and bottom contact. Nothing bad to say at all. I am not sure what I was expecting or hoping this rod to do.

My recent purchase and use of the Trika rod opened up my interest in new rod technology. The Trika rod is something new and in my opinion a great alternative for a super sensitive rod that does not feel like it will break in half on a hard hook set. The
Epitome is very good in my opinion, but did not make me stop and say "wow, that's something different" like when I first used the Trika.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:10 pm

amso4 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:04 am
I think that the Epitome is very solid feeling especially that it is incredibly light weight. The action is really nice MBR and can do moving baits and bottom contact. Nothing bad to say at all. I am not sure what I was expecting or hoping this rod to do.

My recent purchase and use of the Trika rod opened up my interest in new rod technology. The Trika rod is something new and in my opinion a great alternative for a super sensitive rod that does not feel like it will break in half on a hard hook set. The
Epitome is very good in my opinion, but did not make me stop and say "wow, that's something different" like when I first used the Trika.
Interesting. So i guess dollar for dollar, since you got the rod for~$300 vs the$500 now, the Trika at$350 is the better rod overall despite the over 1oz weight difference?

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:58 pm

amso4 wrote:
but not at the level of NRX sensitivity.

Saved me $300+ and pain.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:37 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:58 pm
amso4 wrote:
but not at the level of NRX sensitivity.

Saved me $300+ and pain.
Don't count em out yet haha. Just one review so far but def not a good start that's for sure.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:41 am

Well after calling every day for over a week someone finally picked up, and I have now cancelled my order.
I placed mine on Aug 10th. I never received responses to my emails or Facebook messages to them.
I would expect more from a company ran by Gary, especially since my experience with GLoomis before and after Shimano's purchasing has been nothing short of perfect.

Goodluck to everyone else that pre-ordered... hopefully you will receive it in time for next season, lol.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:26 pm

Well go figure I wouldn't receive a confirmation email for cancelling or get my money back at this point. Call them today, no one processed the return and they still have no clue when rods would be sent out. I made them send me the email now, and whatever manager email that had to be sent since apparently only one person there can process returns/cancellations.

At this point to me they have turned into an absolute joke. I've been fishing for 30years and have ordered from dozens of other companies at this point including many from Japan (which includes pre-orders there too)... I have never had issues with a company like I have had with Edge rods. Will be the last time for sure.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:23 pm

I saw on another board that their Epitome blanks had shipped, ordered on Aug 8. Meanwhile, I’m still waiting to even get a status update on my order. I can’t log into my Edge account (I might not have one?), none of my emails even work as the username and I can’t reset my password (if I even have one). I’ve sent an email about that but haven’t gotten a reply. Good customer service looks different.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:32 am

In the past Kristen helped me with with some issues with an edge rod order, her email was support@edgerods.com . The rod order manager last year was Caitlynn and her email was caitlynn@edgerods.com , I've had better luck with those emails getting ahold of people at Edge.

I'll buy NFC blanks in the future but between my issues with their inshore rods and the fact they still haven't straightened out rod production since the whole kickstarter mess, I'm done buying anything built by Edge.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm

I got a reply! And info that 30 more rods are expected to ship next week, including mine. Excited about that.