TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The Highest Example – The Edge Epitome Rods from Gary Loomis

Post by _diggy_ » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm
I got a reply! And info that 30 more rods are expected to ship next week, including mine. Excited about that.
Any updates :mrgreen:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:09 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:56 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm
I got a reply! And info that 30 more rods are expected to ship next week, including mine. Excited about that.
Any updates :mrgreen:
The update is that there was no update this week and I did not get a shipment notification. Nothing to see here, move along...

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:22 am

Terrible, especially with these rods being up to $495 on the site.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:00 am

Providing nothing goes wrong while in transit, I'll finally have my Epitome Saturday. Got a shipping notification this morning. Ordered August 8, so will be just under 21 weeks since I ordered.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:15 am

My rod shipped today, as well. We’re visiting in-laws for the holidays and there’s no delivery ETA yet, but once it arrives, hopefully I’ll find some winter fish that eat stuff you’d throw on a MH rod.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:53 pm

=D> I'm excited, living vicariously through you all for more reviews :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:47 am

Mine was delivered this morning and my initial impressions are mixed. The rod aesthetic is up my alley (kinda similar look as Trika, but I find the aesthetics a bit more refined). The build feels clean, guide train is straight as an arrow, but there’s a line of epoxy framing the exposed blank inside the reel seat. Performance - no idea yet, we’re getting pounded by storms like the rest of the country. The carpet-drag test feels good (but it’s very inconclusive, of course).

The rod does indeed weigh 3oz on my scale, but it doesn’t feel eye-openingly light when I’m holding it. Ultimately it’s just 10-15% lighter than a bunch of other rods; noticeable when directly comparing it to other rods, but only then. And unfortunately the rod is tip-heavy: it balances a few inches in front of the reel, and as a result, the rod doesn’t really float in the hand. Will try to fish it when the rain lets up.
694E0C1E-C762-4778-AA01-C607094C0114.jpeg
694E0C1E-C762-4778-AA01-C607094C0114.jpeg (117.57 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
480B0ED3-CC7C-4B40-82F9-58A29D67CE9D.jpeg
480B0ED3-CC7C-4B40-82F9-58A29D67CE9D.jpeg (129.79 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
81A012AE-2AA5-4306-B9CB-BAA2ADD39870.jpeg
81A012AE-2AA5-4306-B9CB-BAA2ADD39870.jpeg (145.57 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:47 am

The rod does indeed weigh 3oz on my scale, but it doesn’t feel eye-openingly light when I’m holding it. Ultimately it’s just 10-15% lighter than a bunch of other rods; noticeable when directly comparing it to other rods, but only then. And unfortunately the rod is tip-heavy: it balances a few inches in front of the reel, and as a result, the rod doesn’t really float in the hand. Will try to fish it when the rain lets up.
That light a rod with that huge first guide is what throwing it out of balance ;)

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:16 pm

My biggest issue with this rod so far, by far, is the carbon butt cap: it is spiky. The bottom has an EVA end section, but the carbon weave is exposed where it wraps around on top, and several strands stick out enough that they're very, very rough.

The spikes aren't so high that they break the skin, but you can scratch yourself and gloves and sleeves like getting caught a lot, which is annoying. Don't know if I got a dud or if this is normal with Edge's carbon butt caps - if the company regularly ships these kind of parts, somebody really seems to like pain while fishing.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
I'm debating what to do about it. I'm wary of trying to file down the edge because I don't know what it'll do to the carbon weave (Is it going to look dull? Will it splinter?). I'm thinking of adding a layer of epoxy on top, but the spikes are on the rim, and the epoxy will have to go around the side (and it might leak underneath the masking tape?) So, yeah...

I made a few casts with the rod but it was at a muddy lake with dead carry-over vegetation, hard to judge the blank's sensitivity.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:36 pm

Finally got my Epitome in today. Didn't think to weigh it as is, but definitely felt light in hand. Blank was nice and straight and guides were perfectly aligned. Had a Daiwa Alphas sv tw ready to go on it, and balance point was only slightly behind what Drakestar showed in his pics, so tip heavy, but not a deal breaker for me.
Wanted to give it a try so had a quick trip to the neighbourhood pond. Had no problem casting a 1/8oz Owner flashy swimmer/3 inch Keitech swing impact combo. Sensitivity seems great based on the limited time I had. Could easily tell when hitting bottom and twigs/trash blown in from recent storms. Also had a few small hits on the drop from what I i assume were small white crappie that are prolific in this pond. Hits were very pronounced. Unfortunately didn't catch anything so will have to wait and see how it goes with a fish on the end.
Main negatives for me personally would be the balance being tip heavy, and (at least for me) the trigger is smaller than I prefer, making it uncomfortable to hold the sane way constantly, leading to having to change my grip fairly often. I do think this could be something I adjust to with time though.
Overall, very happy with it, especially for the initial $295 price and definitely think it'll be perfect for what I bought it for which is inshore fishing for flounder and redfish.

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:16 pm
My biggest issue with this rod so far, by far, is the carbon butt cap: it is spiky. The bottom has an EVA end section, but the carbon weave is exposed where it wraps around on top, and several strands stick out enough that they're very, very rough.

The spikes aren't so high that they break the skin, but you can scratch yourself and gloves and sleeves like getting caught a lot, which is annoying. Don't know if I got a dud or if this is normal with Edge's carbon butt caps - if the company regularly ships these kind of parts, somebody really seems to like pain while fishing.

I did notice the carbon weave in the area you're talking about being raised, but it wasn't too bad on mine, at least while fishing off the bank. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt while testing it out this afternoon and had no issues with it catching on my clothing, but that could be different when sitting in my kayak. Definitely seemed like it could get irritating if it was rubbing on bare skin though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:41 am

You might be able to heat shrink over the carbon basket weave grips.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=88951

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:37 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:41 am
You might be able to heat shrink over the carbon basket weave grips.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=88951
Really depends if the pokey carbon strands are already soaked and hardened with epoxy - if so, the shrink tube won't push them down flat (unless you go really really hot to soften the epoxy which could compromise blank structure and stability). My epoxy + shrink method works best if the fiber meets the epoxy for the first time.

Still, assuming the fibers are soaked and hardened as they are hard enough to poke, I'd go about it this way:
- can the strands be cut off with braid scissors? Exacto knife?
- can they be sanded down with a tiny tip of a rotary tool?
- next how about adding additional layers of epoxy to seal things up and add extra weight to help with the balance. Masking tape is crucial for that job not to get messy. For an uniform look it needs to be done to all grips, though..
OR
Replace the butt grip with a bigger and prettier carbon grip and quality butt cap right away. That EVA foam cap will look worn, cheap and dirty anyways pretty soon. Aluminum-Rubber or Zenaq style rubbercork will help with balance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:46 am

A soldering iron set to low might soften the epoxy enough to lay those pokey fibers flat. A heat gun would work also, but you will need to be very careful.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:04 pm

Balance point with a Daiwa Alphas sv tw.
20230102_171307.jpg
20230102_171307.jpg (56.69 KiB) Viewed 3891 times

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:55 pm

Still waiting on mine, I place my order on August 15th so I expect a ship notification in a week or two.

Looking at the balance point with with Alphas SV TW that weighs over 6 ounces I might just put my 2020 101 HG Conquest DC should balance it out perfectly.