Problem with JDM reel.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Problem with JDM reel.

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am

I ordered two of Shimano SLX DC XT from JLS. One of them the gear sound loud when spin compare to other. I also tested both without spool and I can hear and feel the gear crushing more on problem one. It is still smooth but I know this gonna lead to gear buzzing issue in near future from experience.
My question is anyone ever return or replace reel from Japan? Do you have to cover shipping cost to Japan? I know the risk of ordering reel from Japan. I just try to figure if it is worth sending the reel back or just open the reel, re-grease the reel and wait until parts become available. Any idea of shipping cost to japan?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Problem with JDM reel.

Post by John G » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:44 am

I recently bought a Twin Power C2000SHG and I felt that it had a problem. I made a short YouTube video of the sound and I sent it to Digitaka. They apparently thought something was wrong with it because they gave me their FedEx account number so that I could send the reel back to them at no cost to me. They said they were going to send it back to Shimano. As soon as I shipped the reel, I gave them the tracking number and they refunded my money pretty much immediately. They were out of stock on the Twin Power C2000SHG so I got the regular Twin Power C2000S. Anyway, I kind of feel bad about it because I think they got mine and put it right back on the shelf because it showed they had one more in stock after I sent mine back.
The lady at FedEx told me it would cost me a little over $206 to ship it to Japan if I had to pay for it myself.

I'll add that I did not need to make a video on YouTube just to send it to Digitaka but I couldn't figure out how to post a link to the video on Tackle Tour using my iPhone so that's why I made the YouTube video. Here's my video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KYZ0z5V7qXo?feature=share
Last edited by John G on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 am

I sent back an Alphas from Germany to Amazon Japan last year - had to pay DHL upfront (~50 bucks with insurance) but got it refunded to my credit card after providing the receipt and getting it approved as a warranty case. If I would’ve sent it back just because I changed my mind I would have had to cover the cost myself. (DHL US wants $100 for a reel to Japan)

Never heard anything but great service about JLS, you might just tell them what’s up and how you feel about it and see how they respond.
Making a YouTube video to send over might help determine if they will accept it before anyone pays for shipping. Get a lav mic and clip it to the reels foot, that will pick up any gear noise.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am

Thanks, damn $200. If I have to pay shipping cost 30-50 bucks I would take my chance open the reel and try to see if I can do anything. The gear set from plat once become available gonna be about the same or Shimano might introduce this reel to US market. I’m waiting reply email from Japan Lure Shop.
I tried to record video but just regular iPhone’s mic don’t pick up the sound good enough.
Tell me if you hear buzzing noise from gear.
https://youtube.com/shorts/u0f2LJ04ELg?feature=share

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:59 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am
Thanks, damn $200. If I have to pay shipping cost 30-50 bucks I would take my chance open the reel and try to see if I can do anything. The gear set from plat once become available gonna be about the same or Shimano might introduce this reel to US market. I’m waiting reply email from Japan Lure Shop.
I tried to record video but just regular iPhone’s mic don’t pick up the sound good enough.
Yeah $200 would really suck and if I had to pay for it, I would not have sent it back.

Unfortunately, I don't hear any noise other than the normal noise it makes when the handle is turned.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:45 pm

Install the spools and see if it's still there. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:15 pm

a1712 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:45 pm
Install the spools and see if it's still there. Brian.
Yes, it there but not as obvious as when spool is out. I tried to eliminate other possible like worm gear and spool scratch. Once spool out I can feel and hear the noise coming from gear.
Now I just want to open the reel, service and using the reel but if JLS would cover shipping then getting new reel would be better.
I have experience with Shimano gear gone bad and just recently replace my Curado 70 gear.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vP53Cvb2V9U?feature=share

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:00 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am
I bet it's a crunchy bearing somewhere. If you decide to keep it I would go bearing swapping.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:33 pm

Yeah if I open I would replace the x ship bearing first.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 am

Update
After communication with JLS, it seems like JLS will arrange the pick up package with FedEx after I confirm the box size. Top notch customer service.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 am
Update
After communication with JLS, it seems like JLS will arrange the pick up package with FedEx after I confirm the box size. Top notch customer service.
I've never had any issues with any of my Shimano Antares DC and Conquest DC reels I have acquired from them so I am glad to hear that the good folks at JLS have stepped up to assist you with this issue and prove once again that they continue to be among the very best JDM online retailers in the industry for us JDM geeks!

Good luck with your new reel and I hope it works flawlessly out of the box for you! :big grin:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:55 am

That is good to hear. I have bought many reels from Japan and my Twin Power was my first problem. I don't expect a warranty or the great service that I got from Digitaka in regards to returning it for replacement or repair but it was nice that they did what they did and I still would have bought from them in the future if they didn't do that.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 am

Yeah now I’m kind of feel bad for them to cover shipping both way. I don’t know how they make money and the reel might be just as easy fix of re-greasing the gear or swap out the bearing. This is only second purchase I have made with them but will definitely come back for more. Even JLS price is not include shipping but combine those still lower than many Japan vendor, not even mention the free gift that usually expensive lure.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:20 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 am
Yeah now I’m kind of feel bad for them to cover shipping both way. I don’t know how they make money and the reel might be just as easy fix of re-greasing the gear or swap out the bearing. This is only second purchase I have made with them but will definitely come back for more. Even JLS price is not include shipping but combine those still lower than many Japan vendor, not even mention the free gift that usually expensive lure.
Shipping in bulk and per corporate rate is much lower than what an individual pays...and then add in government subsidizing...same as when Amazon has "free shipping and returns", there are plenty of taxpayers helping with the internal shipping cost.

I'm not saying that there isn't a business cost to it, however it is not the same as what we are quoted and charged per individual. Additionally, many times it is a write off as part of business expense...and who knows if the manufacturer kicks in to help with such expenses.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 pm

isn't buzzing a Shimano feature written on the back of the box at this point? 8-)