looking for a fly rod that is equivalent to an uglystick

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
eric_m
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

looking for a fly rod that is equivalent to an uglystick

Post by eric_m » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:14 pm

never fly fished but im looking to get into it. i like uglystick rods and im looking to buy some rods that are strong and ..... well i really dont know anything about fly rods :oops:

i plan on gettin a ross reel

eric_m
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: looking for a fly rod that is equivalent to an uglystick

Post by eric_m » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:00 pm

how are the daiwa fly rods?

i love there casting rods

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:02 pm

eric_m wrote:never fly fished but im looking to get into it. i like uglystick rods and im looking to buy some rods that are strong and ..... well i really dont know anything about fly rods :oops:

i plan on gettin a ross reel
Well...before you do anything, I suggest you get some casting lessons. Afterwards, you will realize why fly-rods aren't as tough as Ugly Sticks and, you'll be a pretty-respectable caster. As a result, you will understand exactly what you need - what will best "fulfill the bill" so-to-speak. Then...go get some lessons on flies and thier presentation. Seriously...don't rely on second-hand knowledge - go seek an expert.

Good news is that great Flyrods aren't near as expensive as they used to be and yes - they are getting tougher. Nevertheless....get those lessons! Join a class - whatever! It's fun, and you'll become a better fisherman all the way around.

Seriously, Fly-fishing taught me so much about Bass Fishing and Speckled Trout Fishing that I had never considered - even though I practiced most of it in Pennsylvania and not Texas where I live now. The skills are learned are universal.

Hope this helps.

Rojo

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 pm

I plan on getting a 9' Daiwa Algonquin flyrod with the removeable butt extension so I'll let you know how it performs. It's very affordable at about $25 too. I don't expect it to perform like a $200-$300 flyrod, but that's ok. :)

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am

After some lessons to learn the basics, A great DVD and Practice tool is by Joan Wulff. I sit on the couch or in the office practicing using this mini rod and yarn, it really simulates a real cast motion to get the yarn fully extended.

http://www.royalwulff.com/educational.html#fly-o

get this video as well Fly Casting DVD/Video

Also I highly recommend getting a guide as much as possible:

1) you learn new spots that aren't the normal pools alongside the highway that everyone stops at.

2) a Good guide will teach you how to read the river, point out where fish are holding and why.

3) Will teach you how to match the hatch, names of bugs, size fly you should use.

4) Will constantly work with your cast and presentation

5) most will supply nicer high end gear if you don't have the right rod for the technique or presentation

6) Will teach you different types of Fly fishing from Streamers, Dry fly and nymphing.

It's very addicting.... before you know it you will have Simms waders, vest, rain gear, boots, 6 box's of various fly's, 5 or 6 set ups and a strong urge to get up pre-dawn to stand waist deep in freezing cold water looking for a dimples and slurps on the water's surface.

Dave Jackson

mktrout
Angler
Angler

Post by mktrout » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:47 pm

ulgy stick fly rods are so incredibly bad it isny funny.